On January 21, 2021, at the ACC St. Louis Annual Meeting, Sven Fickeler was elected as the 30th President of your ACC-St. Louis Chapter. Sven has been a Chapter member for almost a decade, having previously served as chair of the Chapter’s Advocacy and Communications Committee, Treasurer and Vice-President for the Chapter.
Sven works at Bunzl Distribution as Senior Corporate Counsel with responsibilities in the areas of commercial contracts, dispute resolution, bankruptcy, product and trade compliance, data privacy and security, as well as general corporate matters. Sven works very closely with all business units of Bunzl in North America and established himself as a trusted business advisor beyond his role as legal counsel, always looking for the most practical business-oriented solutions.
Sven is originally from Germany, but immigrated to the United States and St. Louis (his wife Jennifer’s home town) in 2003. He is a graduate of the University of Bonn School of Law, Germany (JD) as well as Saint Louis University School of Law (LL.M.) (SLU). After graduating from SLU, he first joined a small law firm as an associate, but before long he moved into his first in-house role at Furniture Brands International, Inc., a descendent of International Shoe for those who remember constitutional law from law school. Sven currently lives in Webster Groves with his wife and two children. When he’s not working, Sven enjoys skiing, playing golf and other outdoor activities.
So you can get to know your new President a little better, Sven agreed to continue the venerable tradition of responding to a few “rapid fire” questions:
1. If I was not a lawyer I would be: a fighter pilot (Thanks Tom Cruise!).
2. My hobbies are: outdoor activities and spending time with my family.
3. When I want to relax I: crank up the music.
4. My music playlist is dominated by: Pearl Jam.
5. My food guilty pleasure is: Everything sausage.
6. My favorite family vacation was: Taking my kids to the home land.
7. My favorite type of book to read for pleasure is: Autobiographies.
8. I became involved with ACC because: networking since I don’t have the STL high school connection.
9. I think the real value our members get from involvement with ACC is: Getting all your CLE credit and benefit from a vast pool of sponsors and their subject matter expertise, the opportunity to connect with peers during a number of social, pro bono and volunteer events that the chapter hosts every year.
10. My goals for this year as ACC President are: Putting the pandemic behind us and getting to interact with people again in person!
11. My advice to lawyers new to the in-house practice is: Embrace being part of the business team and get out of your comfort zone as often as you can.
12. The best way to get more involved with the ACC St. Louis Chapter is: Join a committee! It gives you a great insight to the network we have in St. Louis that makes the chapter win awards every year on a national level. We always look for another helping hand as that is what drives our success.
Alles Gute (all the best)! Let’s put COVID in the rearview mirror!
Bunzl Distribution USA, LLC
2021 ACC St. Louis Chapter President