Welcome to San Diego's and Orange County's legal career listings!
If your company has a job opening, please let us know by contacting Audrey Marlow at email@example.com so we can include your opening in our biweekly announcement. Exceptional targeted marketing for free! Do you wish your company could be listed at the top of our list? Contact us directly with your opening. And you can help make this Job List more successful: Put this Job List in
the hands of your HR department so that they know how to advertise for in-house counsel.
Listings that are new in this edition are shown with an asterisk *
Greater San Diego Area
Confidential Paralegal | County of San Diego*
To assist County Counsel attorneys in the preparation of cases for trial, handling administrative and business matters; and to perform related work as required.
This is a paraprofessional class found only in the Office of County Counsel. Under general supervision, incumbents are primarily responsible for providing full-time assistance to attorneys within the Office of County Counsel. Confidential Paralegal differs from the Legal Assistant I and II classes in that the former is privy to the decision making process of the County affecting labor relations, and/or personnel and employment-related transactions.
- Organizes and prepares legal documents, reports, exhibits, and other related information for production, distribution, and presentation to the Board of Supervisors, client departments, opposing parties, and/or the public during legal proceedings.
- Reconciles and summarizes investigations, pleadings, and motions.
- Inputs information into the County Counsel's case management database.
- Interviews witnesses, County officials, and employees.
- Exercises judgment concerning information and documents privilege and confidential.
- Schedules trial appearances and testimony.
- Drafts interrogatories, basic pleadings and motions, and written discovery and responses for review by attorneys.
- Assists in trial preparation by processing subpoenas and filing documents in the proper court system.
- Performs other related work.
Software Licensing/Transactional Attorney | Fair Isaac Corporation*
Join our dynamic and growing legal team with a world-class analytics company. FICO's solutions support smarter fraud, risk, marketing and customer management decisions for thousands of businesses worldwide. You'll build strong relationship with internal and external customer, utilizing your legal expertise to provide practical advice while achieving business results.
What You'll Contribute:
- Draft, review, negotiate and translate a variety of agreements (sales, service, subcontract, software, procurement, non-disclosure) for assigned internal and external clients.
- Review defined contract terms, limitation of liability, intellectual property indemnity, license grants and warranty, revising accordingly consistent with FICO policies and procedures;
- Support sales/business teams on opportunities including support of the RFP process and contract terms requiring approval.
- Provide contract review coordination across businesses (product, services, finance) in support of clients.
- Support department for contract template revisions, contract interpretation and translation, as requested.
- Protect FICO from unnecessary contract liabilities, damages and penalties.
- Identify red flag risk areas, working with business team to seek appropriate approvals.
Investigation Attorney | Qualcomm Incorporated*
- Responsible for leading and managing investigations concerning possible theft of intellectual property, compliance/Code-of-Business-Conduct violations, internal misconduct, criminal activity, and other diverse, miscellaneous issues from hotline submissions or concerns that arise from time to time. The matters will also include investigating the possible theft or misappropriation of company confidential information (CCI) and/or trade secrets. In nature they will be regulatory, internal and external, criminal and civil, and foreign and domestic and will require knowledge of law, legal principles, common practices, and policies related to these areas.
- Monitors and drives each case from initiation through resolution, interfacing with internal and external stakeholders across functions on IT, privacy, security, technical, legal, HR, and other matters, as needed. Monitors budget/spending for external resources, on-time delivery, and achievement of program milestones. Creates and follows policies and practices for fair and thorough investigations. Ensures appropriate, fair, thorough, and professional investigation practices. Further ensures that substantiated investigations result in remediations that maintain a culture of compliance.
- Assesses legal and regulatory compliance risks and provides legal advice on our legal obligations and compliance-related concerns, required and recommended mitigation plans, and potential legal and regulatory ramifications and/or reporting requirements.
- Serves as a resource on legal and investigation matters and collaborates across departments and organizations to gather information and develop legal solutions and strategies.
Employment Counsel | Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc.*
The Employment Counsel will the lead employment law counsel for several global business groups and enabling functions, manage key processes, projects, and plans to mitigate risks and create value for HR and the business. Candidate will work across multiple businesses, functions, and regions to develop and deliver legal solutions to complex and complicated business issues. Candidate will report directly to the VP, Employment Law, Americas, and report on a matrix basis to VP, Associate General Counsel, Corporate Legal Clinical Research. The position will work directly with members of the legal division, human resources, and business executive to proactively identify solutions to address and manage employment law risks. Candidate will manage and direct employment litigation in partnership with external counsel. Candidate must have excellent judgment, have courage to make difficult decisions, and be able to influence peers and executives on strategic initiatives.
- Will provide day-to-day employment law advice and counsel to HR and management on a variety of subjects including employee terminations, FMLA and other protected leaves, ADA reasonable accommodations, employee relations including discipline, wage and hour issues, separation agreement, workplace violence, restrictive covenants and data privacy.
- Will serve as a member of the employment law team and will help develop, lead, drive, and implement projects to identify and proactively manage legal risks
- Will manage US employment litigation working with outside counsel
- Will support internal investigations working with Employee Relations CoE
Operations - Enterprise Growth Offerings Counsel | Accenture*
The Global Services Legal team is seeking to appoint a Services Counsel in support of Operations’ Enterprise Growth Services business. This is an exciting opportunity to support Enterprise Growth Services achieve its ambition to triple in revenue by 2025 while helping ensure it does so in a compliant and ethical way. Enterprise Growth Services currently includes marketing, sales and customer success related sub-offerings. In-house, public sector and private practice candidates will all be considered, but experience of working with international teams in a global business, supporting technology, and taking products and services to market are highly desirable.The variety of work of the role, and the experience it offers, provides an unbeatable platform from which to build a career. See https://www.accenture.com/us-en/about/operations-index for more information about the Accenture Operations businesses.
- Collaborative working with the Enterprise Growth Services Business teams to evaluate and prepare new offerings for market, with varying deal structures that include managed services, consulting services, software as a service, licensed software (including mobile apps), and third party data in different geographies, industries and regulatory environments.
- Learning and understanding the technology and uses of data related to the offerings well enough to advise business on the key legal issues and prepare inbound technology templates/agreements and outbound or client facing templates.
- Working with the Enterprise Growth Services and other lawyers/SMEs to develop clear communication messages, guidance, templates and trainings regarding the offerings for sales and go to market teams, offering development teams, technical teams and the rest of the Legal organization.
- Team with other lawyers/SMEs in reviewing, drafting, and negotiating complex alliance, co-venture, academic, and supplier technology transaction agreements.
- Supporting Enterprise Growth Services Leadership and Accenture’s Ventures & Acquisitions Legal team in the evaluation of prospective acquisition targets and development and implementation of post-merger integration strategy.
- Developing strong relationships within the Operations business, Global Services Legal team and broader legal organization.
- Taking on assignments as required by designated Legal Lead for Operations Service Counsel and/or the Enterprise Growth Offerings.
Senior Legal Counsel - Global Marketing (remote) | Dexcom, Inc.*
The Senior Legal Counsel, Global Legal Marketing Support will report to the Director, Global Legal Marketing, and will provide support in areas such as; Advise internal clients on applicable laws and regulations for the jurisdictions in which Dexcom advertises and markets its products. This includes a comprehensive understanding of applicable Healthcare Provider and Direct to Customer (DTC) regulations within those jurisdictions. Work closely with Regulatory, Medical, and Marketing to provide risk assessments regarding strategy. Draft, review and prepare contracts to support the Global Marketing function. Create, improve, and implement forms, processes and procures. Work with client groups to identify, assess and address general legal concerns. Draft, review and implement company policies, standards and guidelines.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Advise on applicable marketing laws (as implemented by the FTC and FDA or the relevant regulatory authority) and other healthcare laws, rules and regulations, industry standards and company policies.
- Engage in key policy and regulatory issues impacting Dexcom's marketing relationships and business strategies, participation on cross-functional teams assessing and planning for new policy or regulatory developments, advising on policy positions and helping Dexcom proactively shape the external environment to improve access to its products and services.
- Primarily responsible for Legal review of global marketing collateral. Draft and negotiate contracts to support global marketing efforts.
- Supports legal department operations and improvements to existing contracting processes and legal templates.
- Establish a collaborative and proactive partnership with key stakeholders and department members.
Sr. Employment Counsel | Eastridge Legal*
We’re looking for an Employment Counsel to join Eastridge Workforce Solutions’ dynamic Legal Department team. In this position, you’ll provide strategic, business-oriented advice and legal counsel regarding complex employment law and compliance issues globally. You will partner closely with other attorneys and cross-functional colleagues both locally and across the globe.
- Provide practical employment law counseling, advice, and day-to-day support for various Company divisions and departments globally on complex employment law and compliance matters for successful execution of company initiatives;
- Develop and implement employment policies (including hiring practices, performance management, employee relations, internal investigations, terminations, leaves of absence, accommodations, wage and hour, compensation, and benefits) to ensure best practices and compliance with applicable laws and regulations;
- Create and implement training on HR and employment law topics;
- Manage investigations, administrative agency charges, subpoena and document request responses and litigation related to employment matters;
- Analyze and review independent contractor evaluations, employment status determinations (e.g. exempt/nonexempt);
- Review and revise company documents, marketing materials, customer/vendor contracts particularly as they relate to employment law and compliance;
- Draft and revise employment-related agreements (including offer letters, confidentiality and intellectual property agreements, and separation agreements), and train HR on usage of appropriate templates; and
- Assist with developing and creating Company DE&I initiatives, programs and strategy.
- General corporate/transactional/business law experience a plus
In-House Counsel, Employment & Labor | EDF Renewable Energy, Inc.*
Provides in-house legal counsel on employment-related matters, which may include, but not be limited to, wage and hour law, pay equity, worker classification, workers' compensation, unemployment, and other state and federal agency claims, employee benefits and incentive plans and programs, employment agreements, handbooks, and policy-related issues, leaves of absence, “protected-class” best practices and diversity initiatives, ADA accommodations, employment-related pre-litigation and litigation matters including administrative charges, background checks, hiring matters, overseeing internal investigations, termination matters, severance agreements, reorgs and layoffs (including managing outside counsel strategy and spend related to the foregoing), and generally assists the General Counsel and Human Resources functions.
- Identifies and assesses legal risks and opportunities within the employment area and advises accordingly.
- Independently handles legal matters and projects. Provide practical and solution-focused legal advice and support on business matters in a fast-paced environment.
- Work closely with the HR functions to support issues that may arise. Investigate highly sensitive employee relations issues and regulatory investigations related to employment matters.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to support and maintain compliance with all relevant laws as it relates to company handbooks, and global policies and procedures. Monitors legal issues and implications concerned with discrimination, sexual harassment, health and safety, hiring and firing, as well as all other aspects of employee rights and responsibilities.
- Provide employment-related support on transactional matters including acquisition-related advice and review of compensation and benefits plans.
- Ensures compliance with all applicable employment laws, regulations, and policies. Participates in and influences the decision-making process with appropriate clients and stakeholders. Assist HR in reviewing and implementing compliance training programs such as sexual harassment and wage and hour.
Principal Patent Agent (hybrid) | Neurocrine Biosciences, Inc.*
Responsible for participating in the development and execution of global patent strategies and managing day to day patent activities to support multiple small molecule discovery and clinical development programs.
- Identifies inventions in collaboration with members of various discovery and development groups within the Company
- Drafts and prosecutes patent applications relating to small molecule drugs that are strategically aligned with the Company's business objectives
- Works and interacts with collaborators and other external strategic partners to implement global patent strategies
- Communicates complex patent advice to team members at every level in the organization, with a wide range of scientific backgrounds
- Assists with strategic IP due diligence, including conducting prior art and patent searches and analyzing the patent portfolios of competitors and potential collaborators
- Evaluates IP risks and recommends solutions under little supervision
- Supports preparation of Orange Book and patent term extension filings
- Reviews proposed publications and analyzes potential impact on the Company's patent portfolio
- Contributes to development of best practices within the group
- Manages the use of outside legal counsel globally
Corporate Counsel - Privacy | Intuit*
The Corporate Counsel - Privacy will be a member of Intuit's Global Privacy Team and partner with key stakeholders across the company and around the world to drive insight and innovation while enhancing customer trust and brand equity. This role requires a lawyer with privacy knowledge coupled with a pragmatic approach to operationalizing emerging legal and regulatory requirements. The ideal candidate will have a successful track record as both a lawyer and a business partner capable of holistic problem solving. This is a position best suited for a thoughtful lawyer who values diversity and thrives working collaboratively in large ecosystems at multiple levels with a wide variety of constituents.
Assistant General Counsel - Privacy | Intuit*
The Assistant General Counsel - Privacy will report to the Chief Privacy Officer and partner with key stakeholders across the company and around the world to drive insight and innovation while enhancing customer trust and brand equity. This role requires a strategic lawyer with deep subject matter expertise in privacy coupled with a pragmatic approach to operationalizing emerging legal and regulatory requirements. The ideal candidate will have a successful track record as both a lawyer and a business partner capable of holistic problem solving. This is a position best suited for a thoughtful lawyer who values diversity and thrives working collaboratively in large ecosystems at multiple levels with a wide variety of constituents.
Corporate Contracts Paralegal/ Specialist | Neurocrine Biosciences, Inc.*
Provides legal assistance to sr. corporate paralegals and corporate attorneys. Drafts, reviews, negotiates and files legal documentation, primarily contracts. Assists with determining the necessity and approach to contracts, ensuring protection of the company's proprietary technology. Performs administrative tasks pertaining to the legal approval of financial requisitions.
Draft, review, negotiate and file a high volume of routine contracts
Communicate with internal business partners regarding the risks presented by contract terms and possible strategies to mitigate such risk
Support administration of the company’s contract management system (CMS)
Assist in determining the necessary approach to contracts and ensuring protection of the company’s proprietary technology
Assist in approving financial requisitions on behalf of the Legal department
Use a wide range of legal or specialized knowledge to provide legal support services in an efficient and timely manner
Exercise good judgment within generally defined practices and policies in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions
Use initiative and discretion in accomplishing routine assignments with minimal supervision
Commercial Counsel | Globalization Partners
As Commercial Counsel, you will be responsible for preparing, reviewing, and negotiating contracts and other related documents, as well as partnering with the business and the Commercial legal team on strategic initiatives and other projects. This is an exciting opportunity to play a key role in the ongoing growth of Globalization Partners across globally.
What you will do:
- Draft, review, revise and negotiate various contracts including Master Services Agreements, NDAs, and vendor agreements
- Develop relationships of trust and respect with internal customers and stakeholders to support commercial activities and strategic initiatives
- Identify and manage potential legal risks, and provide actionable advice to internal customers and stakeholders
- Develop fluency with the Company's contract management system, including maintaining life-cycle requirements, training, and alerting internal clients to key contract dates and actions
- Support the continual efforts to streamline the contracting process by improving contract templates, clause libraries, playbooks and processes, with an emphasis on efficiency and scalability
- Maintain current knowledge of national and local laws across the region
Patent Counsel, Sr. (remote) | Qualcomm
Providing legal advice and representation to businesses involved in patent litigation, patent licensing, and other related legal issues. The position requires broad knowledge of patent law and procedures for litigating patent cases before U.S. District Courts and the U.S. International Trade Commission. Experience with cases outside the U.S. is helpful. The attorney will personally manage and lead teams comprised of internal and external resources to achieve cost effective and successful outcomes. Key responsibilities include the development of case strategies and budgets as well as active involvement in patent litigation matters, which typically will include the management of outside counsel, factual investigations, pretrial pleadings, discovery, motions practice and dispute resolution (whether by settlement, trial, or ADR). The role also involves managing matters to budget. The role will also involve management of patent invalidation proceedings at the U.S. Patent Trial and Appeal Board and equivalent foreign agencies. The position will also provide opportunities to become involved in preventative initiatives and the development and delivery of training on various legal subjects.
Senior Counsel - Legal Affairs (remote) | Sharp HealthCare
The Senior Counsel will serve as staff legal counsel for the Legal Affairs Department, will be responsible for managing ongoing legal projects, performing legal support functions and providing advice to Sharp HealthCare's executive and service management, system services and entity-based leaders, functional and service line leaders, and other management and staff on a wide variety of matters. The Senior Counsel also will provide education to staff to ensure awareness of, and efforts are made for compliance with, applicable federal, state and local laws, rules and regulations, all with the goals of improving the quality, effectiveness, efficiency and accuracy of the health care operations and services of Sharp HealthCare and its affiliates. The Senior Counsel will be self-driven and take the initiative to proactively and timely handle assigned matters and serve as a valuable resource for the entire Legal Affairs Department.
- Integration and Interaction with other counsel in Legal Affairs Department.
- Acts as liaison between outside counsel and Sharp's internal clients; manages outside counsel, including in connection with business litigation involving Sharp HealthCare or its affiliates.
- Maintains and encourages excellent relationships, works collaboratively and engages in regular communication with the General Counsel, Assistant General Counsel, and the Legal Affairs Department's other attorneys, paralegals, executive assistants and other non-attorney staff.
- Works and communicates effectively to minimize or eliminate duplicate efforts and maintain outside legal costs at a reasonable level.
- Integrating with the research and development teams to learn about our manufacturing processes, and product development while identifying key IP opportunities and capturing innovation
- Growing your understanding of cutting-edge technologies related to the cell and gene therapies markets including growing your understanding of competitor product offerings and services as well as new market entrants
- Performing risk evaluation for internal process development including due diligence assessments, freedom to operate analyses, infringement and validity analyses including mitigation strategies
- Being a part of the global IP Department and Legal Department and helping us become one of the most admired legal organizations
- Growing and developing with a company that is enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer
Associate IP Counsel | Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc.
This role requires a strategic mindset, a strong technical background, and proven skills in drafting and prosecuting global patent protection for molecular biology and reagent-based inventions. You will be joining a high-performing IP team that prides itself on delivering strong, defensible patents and thoughtful, business-oriented counseling solutions.
- Working directly with R&D teams educating them on patentable inventions. Interacting with and providing legal and strategic guidance to senior division level business management, senior scientists, and other functional organizational leadership.
- Developing a principled and strategic framework for capturing innovation and protecting complex molecular biology assays, methods and reagents innovation for the division worldwide.
- Providing IP legal support to our companion diagnostics business development team to support our existing and developing companion diagnostics partnering programs
- Developing and implementing a framework for evaluating prosecution ROI
- Managing outside counsel in their efforts for the company
- Support the company IP team in IP Group-wide initiatives and in developing a more flexible company-wide IP support model.
- Conduct proactive in-depth analysis of competitor and industry IP portfolios; manage and improve processes for tracking innovations and competitor IP activity.
- Navigate freedom-to-operate issues.
- Conduct employee training sessions on the protection of innovations through the patent process, best practices for maintaining confidential business information, and the overall development of intellectual property assets;
- Resolve and/or support resolution of business unit-level and division-level legal disputes and transactional negotiations
- When necessary, provide support to our internal litigation team on any IP litigations relating to CSD's molecular biology and reagent-related product portfolio
Corporate Counsel (remote) | Athletic Brewing Company
Athletic Brewing Company is seeking in-house counsel to be an in-house point person on all legal matters. We are considering a wide range of experiences for this hire and compensation and job duties and expectations will fluctuate in accordance with qualifications and experience. We take enormous pride in our team culture and company growth potential, so these teammates should be prepared for an intellectually stimulating, multi-tasking, and busy day-to-day life where they are an integral part of company function. This teammate will be both a peer to management and responsible for instituting legal systems and processes in the company. They will interface with a very strong legal firm partner.
- Creating and instituting company legal systems - communication, record keeping, processes, decision trees, etc.
- Securities and Corporate Governance
- Assist leadership with minutes, agendas, and various governance items as needed.
- Participate in board meetings
- Assist with fundraising documents, filings, paperwork
- Serve as the first point of contact for the Legal Department on due diligence processes
- Support the Company's supply chain and manufacturing initiatives by reviewing agreements, coordinating with outside counsel specialists, and acting as a liaison between those business units and the Legal Team
- Assisting with distributor and supplier agreements
Senior Deputy County Counsel | County of San Diego
To perform legal work in the field of local government law; to provide professional legal services to County departments, boards and commissions, school districts or special districts; and to perform related work as required. Depending on assignment, positions in this class are assigned to perform journey, lead, or supervisory functions. This classification is allocated only to the Office of County Counsel. Under direction, incumbents are responsible for independently handling cases and assignments that vary from moderate to difficult and complex, and handling cases and matters that have the greatest potential impact upon the County and its officers, boards and districts. Incumbents may also supervise a section or team of attorneys. Senior Deputy County Counsel differs from the next highest level, Chief Deputy County Counsel, in that the latter class has overall administrative authority and responsibility for a legal group or division.
- Provides guidance and advice to Deputy and Senior Deputy County Counsel attorneys in matters of law and trial tactics, ordinance drafting and interpretation, legal research, preparation of legal briefs and opinions, and trial and appellate practices.
- May act as a lead or supervising attorney over an assigned section or team of attorneys and other professional staff.
- May be required to perform the functions of the lower level class in this series.
Senior Patent Counsel | Johnson & Johnson Services, Inc.
The Law Department is recruiting for a Senior Patent Counsel to support clients located in La Jolla, CA; South San Francisco, CA; or Spring House, PA. (northwest of Philadelphia). The position may be primarily located at one of those sites or located at a Johnson & Johnson site in Southern California, the San Francisco Bay Area (e.g., San Jose), or the greater Philadelphia/New York/DC metropolitan area, with the expectation that the person selected for the position would meet with clients in-person on a regular, periodic basis. The position reports to an Assistant General Counsel, Patents. The responsibilities of this position include representing and advising Johnson & Johnson's pharmaceutical businesses and R&D units in the areas of patent law and strategy; drafting and prosecuting patent applications; drafting and negotiating transactional agreements; conducting third-party IP diligence; oversight of contractual corporate relationships; and support in patent-related litigations. Specifically, the Senior Patent Counsel will be responsible for supporting the Discovery, Product Development & Supply organization of Janssen Research & Development.
Senior Corporate Counsel | Midland Credit Management, Inc.
The Senior Corporate Counsel, Compliance plays an integral role in working with the business to ensure legal compliance with all laws, regulations and other rules impacting the Company. This role provides best-practice legal research and analysis, collaborates with business leaders and staff by educating those clients about applicable legal requirements, and explores options to ensure compliance while facilitating efficiency and helping the Company reach its business goals. This role also works closely with the Risk and Compliance group to support the Company's compliance goals, mitigate risk, and accomplish goals consistent with risk tolerances.
- Collaborate with business leaders and staff by educating those clients about applicable legal requirements; explore options to ensure compliance while facilitating efficiency and returns on investment.
- Develop new processes and review existing practices to ensure compliance with company policies and applicable federal and state laws to our business; provide significant support to business leaders responsible for their respective channels.
- Collaborate with Risk and Compliance team to ensure that compliance processes represent best in class practices, and those practices are clearly documented and consistently followed.
- Define, review and manage budget; balance the use and deployment of internal and external legal resources.
Intellectual Property Counsel | Leica Biosystems
The Intellectual Property (IP) Counsel acts as the primary IP legal resource for the Imaging portion of the Advanced Staining and Imaging business unit and the Artificial Intelligence / Machine Learning strategic business unit (BUs) with a particular emphasis on digital pathology, imaging technology, software, and artificial intelligence in the cancer diagnostic industry. This position will work directly with engineers, scientists, marketers, and others involved in research and product development on IP matters as well as sales and the global Leica Biosystems IP/Legal Team. The IP Counsel will develop an in-depth understanding of the Company's intellectual property, products and business, and will possess the ability to evaluate and balance both legal and business factors when providing legal advice. Based on a degree in Electrical or Biomedical Engineering or Computer Science (or comparable discipline), this candidate will demonstrate a broad knowledge base in areas appropriate for an experienced in-house IP Counsel at a medical technology company.
The successful candidate will have hands-on IP experience in the medical imaging, digital pathology, and artificial intelligence software space with demonstrated success in giving practical, pragmatic, cost-effective, straightforward legal advice to in-house clients. This individual values idea sharing and has a growth mindset, works well in a team environment, and is willing to try new or different approaches to problem solving, development, and IP management. This individual will have experience working on or leading a global team and communicating effectively with business partners. This individual understands the importance of operating with a global mindset and models global and cultural sensitivity.
VP, Associate Counsel | LPL Financial
VP’s on the legal advice team report to a Senior Vice President responsible for providing strategic legal advice to various business units. This team focuses primarily on the LPL’s broker-dealer business but also provides support to the investment advisory business as well. This position entails advising LPL’s (1) Financial Crimes Compliance Unit; (2) Compliance Policy and Procedures development, management and implementation Unit; and (3) LPL’s Business Development Unit. The ideal candidate is one who can thrive in a fast paced business environment and can manage a substantial docket autonomously. Relevant private practice experience is highly desired. Prior in-house counsel experience preferred but not required.
- Provide legal advice and support to business and compliance teams on issues related to sanctions, AML, anti-corruption laws and regulations promulgated by the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) / Treasury, USA PATRIOT Act, Bank Secrecy Act, U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), etc.
- Assist, and work with outside counsel as necessary, in representing the Firm before regulatory authorities in matters related to sanctions, AML, and anti-corruption legal issues
- Liaise and coordinate within the Compliance Legal and Risk department and with key stakeholders across the Firm, to ensure appropriate execution of the Firm’s enterprise-wide financial crimes prevention program
- Advise on the development and implementations of suspicious activity review, assessments and SARs filings
- Counsel on development of regulatory compliance policies and procedures with respect to new and existing securities laws, rules and regulations
Corporate Counsel | 24 Hour Fitness USA
This position provides multi-level legal support to Company business partners with a particular focus on drafting and advice and counsel related to: (i) the Company's membership contracts; and (ii) the Company's commercial contracts with vendors. The Corporate Counsel works as a business partner to the product and procurement teams and other key business functions in the formulation, negotiation and preparation of contracts to support day-to-day business operations and new company initiatives.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Commercial Contracts - Review, revise, and negotiate commercial contracts across a broad spectrum of functional areas, including business development, software licensing, SaaS, marketing, media, retail, real estate licensing, promotional, and professional services agreements.
- Provide business partners with strategic legal advice regarding potential business opportunities.
- Under the direction of supervising counsel, work to:
- assess and refine repeatable processes to increase efficiency, enhance compliance, and reduce risk; and
- develop and manage internal and external resources to improve service levels to business partners throughout contracting process, including evaluating methods to shorten time between contract initiation and execution
- Oversee existing membership agreement portfolio, including ongoing, but no less than annual review of all existing agreements (membership, training, services) to ensure compliance with:
- State/City laws: including but not limited to health studio laws, waiver/release (general liability), consumer protection
- Federal laws: including but not limited to payment processing, communications (TCPA, etc.)
General Counsel | GPAC
The General Counsel is responsible for managing, reporting and advising on all legal affairs of the Company, including municipal, vendor and customer contracts, mergers and acquisitions, litigations, policies and procedures, safety and environmental compliance, risk mitigation, and employee compliance. This is a highly visible and critical role, supporting the Company's operations and business growth initiatives, with far reaching impacts across the company. Must provide a high-level of service to the operations team, back-office support departments and executives.
Senior Legal Counsel - Employment Attorney (remote) | Mitchell International
In this role you will be responsible for providing employment advice and counsel to the People & Workplace (HR) team and managing employment litigation. The successful candidate will be comfortable working collaboratively in a quickly-changing and complex acquisitive environment with 5,600 employees in all 50 states.
- Provide practical legal advice and engage in collaborative problem-solving on various areas of employment law including, but not limited to, wage and hour, workplace conduct, hiring, leaves and accommodations, investigations, disciplinary actions, separations, and employee relations.
- Lead and efficiently manage all employment claims and litigation matters, including internal handling of administrative agency investigations/charges where appropriate.
- Analyze, develop and deliver strategic litigation and dispute resolution strategies in line with business requirements to reduce risks.
- Monitor relevant legal developments and trends and, as a result, proactively shape the company's approach.
- Participate with Legal and P&W Teams on developing strategy and methodologies for process improvement that supports continued company growth.
- Create materials and conduct quarterly training and education for the P&W team on relevant employment law topics.
Senior Legal Counsel | Portrait Health
We are seeking a deeply thoughtful and pragmatic attorney who is excited to support our growing business as our first in-house lawyer. 20th century laws don't always solve 21st century issues, and we need an experienced problem solver who can help the business make informed decisions.
What You'll Do:
- Reporting directly to Portrait Health's founder and CEO, this role will be instrumental in not only setting us up to scale effectively, but also in building the in-house legal team for the future
- Help Portrait scale the medical practice to new states including drafting medical provider agreements, Professional Corporation (PC) Setup and revising Management Service Agreements (MSAs)
- Manage all external legal counsel, including negotiating pricing and alternative fee structures
- Offer guidance and serve as the escalation point for a wide variety of legal matters, including but not limited to state/federal healthcare compliance issues, data/privacy regulations, contracts, intellectual property, VC financing/securities, corporate governance, and HR/employment
- Design processes and empower team members to maintain legal compliance
Corporate Counsel, Products & Intellectual Property | Cue Health, Inc.
Cue Health Inc. is seeking to hire a full-time Corporate Counsel, Products and Intellectual Property. The Corporate Counsel, Products and Intellectual Property reports directly to the General Counsel and is a member of the Cue legal department. The individual in this position supports the organization in building, managing, defending, and enforcing the company's patent portfolio.
- Act as primary legal advisor for software development, engineering, and product teams
- Proactively work with Cue engineers, software developers, and product teams to identify, capture, and protect inventions
- Review products, features, and initiatives to provide advice consistent with regulations and industry standards
- Oversee and manage outside counsel in the preparation and prosecution of patent applications
- Conduct patentability and freedom to operate assessments
- Conduct diligence in connection with strategic transactions, including M&A
Corporate Counsel, Contracts | Travere Therapeutics, Inc.
This Corporate Counsel, Contracts will provide a high quality and diverse range of contractual legal services, while exercising discretion, professionalism and solid judgment. This position will be responsible for drafting and negotiating agreements, protecting the company's interests while ensuring the company's contractual arrangements are in compliance with applicable State, Federal and International laws, rules and regulations related to research, development, commercial and corporate operations.
Draft, review and negotiate a wide variety of agreements across many company departments including: Research and Development oriented agreements, Clinical Trial Agreements, Sponsored Research Agreements, Material Transfer Agreements, Licensing Agreements, Manufacturing Agreements, Master Services Agreements, Vendor Agreements, Consulting Agreements, Confidentiality Agreements, Operations oriented agreements and Commercial oriented agreements. Draft and negotiate other types of agreements as needed.
- Provide legal advice to internal teams on contract matters, including structuring, contract interpretation, compliance and enforcement, risk assessment, and legal and regulatory compliance.
- Partner closely with company departments to address current needs and anticipate future areas of growth.
- Participate in the development, implementation and monitoring of contracting policies, procedures and programs, working closely with and partnering with the VP, Legal.
- Resolve legal and compliance issues using negotiation skills and expertise; negotiate with sophisticated counterparties.
- Ensure that the Company's contractual arrangements comply with applicable FDA, HHS/OIG, FCPA, HIPAA, GDPR and SEC requirements and other laws, rules and regulations.
Litigation & Worker's Compensation Counsel | GuideOne Insurance
We are growing and are looking for a skilled Litigation Counsel to join our team and assist with the defense of workers’ compensation claims, as well as property, casualty, and coverage litigation. Our ideal candidate will have significant experience in both workers’ compensation and also civil litigation. The successful candidate will be a self-starter, highly organized, focused, detail-oriented, and willing to travel for single-day trips and occasionally overnight. The position requires technical proficiency and insurance defense experience. Our legal department guides and protects the company—and serves our members—by making informed business and legal decisions based on current data and relevant information. The legal department must be vigilant and dedicated to serving our goals and adhering to our brand values.
- This position will cover southern California.
- Frequent travel, with occasional overnight stays, should be expected.
- Litigation work includes but is not limited to case analysis, preparation of motions, pleadings, written discovery, and reports, as well as depositions, hearings, trials, and communications with the claims department.
- The candidate must be able to competently present a controversy from inception through trial while maintaining the independent professional judgment required of a lawyer.
- The position involves a busy, fast-paced, full practice.
- Other duties and projects may be assigned, including training, research, editing, preparing informational documents related to the areas of practice, and presentations.
- The successful candidate will have the option of working from a physical office, provided by GuideOne, or working from home.
Corporate Counsel (contracts) | Aya Healthcare
When you join Aya, you'll be surrounded by teammates who care about you as an individual and leaders who will help you grow both personally and professionally.
- Review, draft, redline, negotiate, and approve for execution, Aya Healthcare's day-to-day business to business contracts and contract amendments, including agreements with clients, suppliers, and vendors
- Develop and recommend improvements for standard contractual documents, templates, playbooks and clause libraries.
- Assist internal clients with contract negotiation and RFP responses, as appropriate
- Perform legal analysis and make recommendations on legal, contractual, risk, and compliance issues relating to contract matters
VP, Intellectual Property Licensing Counsel | Halozyme, Inc.
The Vice President, Intellectual Property Licensing Counsel supports Halozyme's ENHANZE® drug delivery technology franchise by working closely with the business development team responsible for licensing Halozyme's intellectual property assets. This individual collaborates closely with the business development team in the evaluation, negotiation, and execution of new ENHANZE deals, and is the team lead on all intellectual property licensing issues. They also provide legal support for other Halozyme business development and strategic initiatives including the potential evaluation and acquisition of new platform opportunities.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Support team members in maintaining and leading successful relationships in current collaborations, including parties' contract obligations and communications
- Support and at times lead strategy and negotiation of new ENHANZE collaborations
- Draft non-disclosure, research, license, and other agreements involving the use or ownership of intellectual property
- Perform diligence and support in a variety of potential life science transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, or in-licenses of new platforms opportunities
- Work with and advise management and business teams on leveraging Halozyme's current patent portfolio and growth opportunities
- Work closely with IP counsel for Halozyme that prosecute and maintain the IP portfolio
- Advise technical and business collaborators internally, and partner with external counsel on licensing, strategy, and potential IP or licensing litigation
Employment Counsel (remote) | Globalization Partners
As Employment Counsel, North America, you will be responsible for and manage employment matters across Canada and the United States as well as contribute to compliance for our operations across the Americas. This is an exciting opportunity to play a key role in the ongoing growth of Globalization Partners across the North American region and globally.
What You'll Do:
- Provide high quality oral and written legal advice concerning employment law matters throughout the North American region.
- Assist in developing creative approaches to managing legal risks and resolving disputes.
- Assist in the development, implementation, and enforcement of company policies.
- Partner across departments to build scalable and compliant processes and templates.
- Maintain current knowledge of national, state, and local laws across the North American region.
- Assist with and supervise employment-related disputes and litigation including as a liaison with outside counsel.
- Participate in creation and delivery of training related to employment law matters.
- Assorted other legal team projects to address the needs of a global, high-growth company.
Legal Counsel (remote) | Qualcomm
Qualcomm is looking for an attorney to support its trademark, copyright and marketing division in San Diego.
- Collaborate with paralegals and outside counsel to prepare trademark applications, draft responses to office actions, develop evidence of use, and obtain registrations and renewals of trademarks; manage international trademark portfolio for one or more business units.
- Review trademark clearance opinions from outside counsel and provide clear, business-focused advice and risk analyses.
- Draft and negotiate trademark license agreements and provide strategic advice to internal clients on building and managing trademark licensing programs.
- Assess, investigate and develop strategies for domain name proceedings, online marketplace takedowns, oppositions and other trademark and copyright enforcement activities; act as trademark and copyright subject matter expert for litigation and customs matters.
- Provide advice on advertising issues, disclaimers and disclosures, claims substantiation, and consumer protection issues; collaborate with paralegals on marketing asset reviews.
- Draft and negotiate a variety of agreements relating to marketing and advertising, events, contests, sweepstakes, sponsorships, content licensing (both inbound and outbound), influencers, brand ambassadors, and social media.
- Advise clients and cross-functional teams on marketing, trademark and copyright aspects of commercial transactions, product/service development, and business strategies; counsel on advertising, marketing and consumer protection issues.
Associate General Counsel, Sr. Director - Corporate Law | Blue Shield of California
The Associate General Counsel (AGC) will be a Senior Director-level member of Blue Shield's Law Department and will be a leader in the company. The Law Department partners with the company's business leaders to embrace legal and ethical behavior in the achievement of the company's mission. This team is highly regarded within the company and respected by management. It is comprised of top tier, analytical and intelligent attorneys; paralegals; contract and regulatory specialists; compliance specialists; and administrative support staff.
The new role will be part of the Corporate Law team and report to the Associate General Counsel – Lead Health Solutions. The role has primary responsibility for drafting, negotiating and advising on a wide range of commercial contracts and advising the leadership team of the Company's Global Business Services (GBS) organization. It also has responsibility for providing general corporate counsel to Blue Shield's business leaders in Health Solutions, Transformation, Information Technology, and other substantive areas as needed. The AGC must comfortably adapt to change, skillfully and quickly master new responsibilities, demonstrate strong business acumen, and possess a strong drive for excellence.
- Draft, negotiate and advise on a wide range of commercial contracts, including procurement, business processing outsourcing, technology agreements, information technology transactions (including licensing), cloud services and SaaS agreements, general consulting and services, marketing, agreements with early-stage tech companies to pilot innovations in healthcare, and other agreements.
- Providing counsel to the company's Health ReImagined, Transformation and Global Business Services teams.
- Provide support to the Corporate Development Team, as needed.
- Provide counsel to Blue Shield's business units working to pilot, test and scale innovations to transform healthcare in partnership with technology companies, community organizations and other stakeholders.
- Provide counsel to BSC's initiatives to advance health equity and improve the affordability and quality of health care in underserved communities and populations in California
Senior Privacy & Compliance Counsel (remote) | Teradata
The Senior Privacy and Compliance Counsel is the key person responsible for overseeing and enhancing Teradata's global Privacy program and a critical contributor to our wider Ethics and Compliance and ESG-related initiatives. This leader will also help Teradata innovate and deploy new technologies while managing legal and privacy compliance risks. The Senior Privacy and Compliance Counsel will be a member of Teradata's Law Department, reporting to the Chief Ethics, Compliance and Privacy Officer.
- Serve as the lead international Privacy counsel, driving continual improvement in Teradata's global privacy program, keeping abreast of global privacy laws and ensuring compliance.
- Maintain and enhance scalable frameworks and approaches to assist Teradata with achieving its strategic objectives while complying with global privacy regulations.
- Partner with our CISO, product development, engineering, cloud operations, and IT leadership teams in understanding company products and software development practices to assist in developing privacy compliance strategies in line with market developments. During the development stage, partner to employ practices of privacy by design and default and perform data privacy impact assessments.
- Maintain a record of processing activities and map the flow of data for suppliers and other third parties. In partnership with Teradata's procurement team, manage the vendor onboarding process from a privacy perspective and assist in the development and negotiation of supplier and customer privacy agreements, including updating them in line with legislative developments.
- Provide guidance to technology teams and business leaders on the privacy, confidentiality, legal and other risks associated with development, operation, and implementation of technology systems and innovations ensuring ‘privacy-by-design' philosophies are built into our products and features. Proactively collaborate with business leaders to develop practical solutions to address those risks.
- Provide focused and pragmatic privacy advice to Go-To-Market and third party risk management teams; ensuring data privacy matters are addressed and data processing agreement requirements are efficiently met.
Intellectual Property Counsel | Becton Dickinson Company
BD is seeking a patent attorney with 10-20 years of legal experience to support the BD Biosciences (BDB) business unit headquartered in San Jose, California, as well as provide IP expertise more broadly within the Life Sciences segment. Life sciences experience is therefore required, and in-house and IP transactional experience are strongly preferred. This position will be responsible for intellectual property work that may include portfolio management, post-grant activities, freedom-to-operate analyses, due diligence, strategic counseling, IP licensing and supporting IP litigation activities. The position reports to the Chief IP Counsel and will have one or more direct reports, including a patent agent that supports BDB. The successful candidate must be able to work independently and develop strong relationships with the BDB leadership, project teams and R&D associates. The position is located in San Jose or San Diego (under a hybrid work model), but BD will consider exceptional candidates able to work out of other BD locations, with periodic travel to San Jose and/or San Diego required.
- Engage with BDB management to provide strategic counseling, updates, and recommendations related to the BDB IP portfolio, offensive/defensive patent activities and business development activities
- Maintain strong interactions with R&D and project teams, to identify patentable inventions and create and execute patent strategies, and to provide IP education
- Provide direction to outside counsel on the global patent portfolio, including managing offensive and defensive patent challenges
- Provide patentability, FTO and related opinions in support of R&D programs and business development activities
- Provide IP diligence for M&A and related activities
Associate General Counsel | Flatiron Construction Corp.
This is your opportunity to join an industry-leading organization that is at the forefront of developing innovative solutions to build critical infrastructure and landmark projects. Ideally coming from a background in the heavy civil infrastructure market, this role will provide advice to one or more mega projects or divisions, including transactional and operational matters. You will work closely with leadership to identify and mitigate legal issues for Flatiron's operations. This role will offer you the opportunity to build effective partnerships with operational leaders to provide guidance and proactive solutions.
What you will be doing:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
- Reviews project contract documents to identify and analyze legal risks related to the project or company. Reports legal risk and mitigation strategies to project and divisional management.
- Manages claims mitigation and resolution for more than one division of the Company. Works closely with project management, Executive leadership and external counsel manage, track, mediate and resolve project and company claims.
- May draft and negotiate agreements, including design-build and construction contracts, joint-venture (JV) agreements, alternative delivery contracts, sub-contract agreements with designers and civil contractors, and other related agreements.
- Works closely with JV partners (if applicable) and external counsel to negotiate contracts, settlements and/or manage disputes, litigation or other dispute resolution processes.
- Advises project stakeholders of potential disputes and recommends mitigation strategies.
Sr. Intellectual Property Counsel | Callaway Golf
Under general supervision of the Deputy General Counsel, Intellectual Property, the Senior Counsel, Intellectual Property will provide legal advice to the Company on a broad range of issues in the assigned areas, including patent prosecution, patent clearance, patent litigation, patent licensing, trade secret law, and patent docketing.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Conduct patent freedom to operate searches and write clearance opinions for Company technology, including golf clubs, golf balls, golf accessories, soft goods products, outdoor equipment, apparel, and golf entertainment technology.
- Work with research & development (R&D) and design departments at various Company brands to develop new ideas and document them in Invention Disclosure Forms.
- Draft utility and design patent applications on new technologies and prosecute them to issuance with the USPTO.
- Work with and manage foreign patent counsel to file patent applications in foreign jurisdictions.
- Review existing company patent portfolio and identify areas of opportunity for new filings.
- Identify existing patents that cover each new product launch and update the online patent marking page.
- Train R&D and design departments at various brands on basic patent and trade secret law and requirements for patent filings.
- Support litigation counsel in intellectual property infringement disputes.
- Oversee patent docketing system (Anaqua) and patent docketing resources.
Patent Counsel - Golf Club Technologies | Acushnet US
The Patent Counsel will work within the Golf Club Manufacturing patent teams and partner with clients to strengthen the company's patent portfolio. In this role, you will be responsible for reviewing invention disclosure submissions, preparing and prosecuting patent applications, and assisting with product clearances. You will work closely and communicate regularly with scientific, technical, legal and business team members. This position is based in Carlsbad, CA.
- Prepare and prosecute patent applications directed to Golf Club manufacture technologies
- Conduct prior art searches for golf club technologies
- Assist in the preparation of product clearances, and non-infringement and invalidity opinions
- Support the invention disclosure submission process
- Provide patent-related training/presentations to educate and engage R&D, Marketing and Operations teams
Sr. Director, Intellectual Property | Kura Oncology
Kura Oncology is in search of an experienced attorney to serve as the Company’s Sr. Director, Intellectual Property. The Sr. Director, Intellectual Property will develop and drive the Company’s IP strategy and oversee our IP portfolio in support of our pipeline of small molecule drug candidates for the treatment of solid tumors and blood cancers. In addition to serving as the Company’s lead IP attorney, this individual will collaborate with other members of the legal department and business groups on transactional matters involving IP, including contracts. This role, which reports to the Company’s Associate General Counsel, will offer opportunities to work closely with the Company’s senior leadership team and colleagues across the organization.
- Develop and implement IP strategy, as well as policies and procedures to ensure the protection of the Company's IP.
- Work closely with the Company’s research, development, manufacturing, chemistry and clinical teams to identify and protect new IP opportunities.
- Monitor and analyze competitive IP and advise senior management on the implications thereof.
- Conduct and analyze patentability, freedom-to-operate and invalidity searches.
- Review publications, presentations and other public disclosures for potential impact on IP.
- Effectively manage outside IP counsel to ensure execution of patent and trademark strategies, including, management of patent and trademark filings, prosecution matters and external costs.
- Provide legal advice and education to employees regarding IP rights, related business issues and best practices for protecting the Company’s IP.
Attorney, Commercial Transacftions (hybrid) | Illumina
As a member of the Illumina multi-disciplinary Legal team, the attorney will represent the company in a broad range of transactional matters having commercial and intellectual property components.
- Work closely with the corporate development, business unit, and patent teams to implement the company's commercial and intellectual property decisions in written agreements
- Draft, interpret, analyze, and negotiate a variety of complex domestic and international commercial and intellectual property agreements including license (including software license), sales, strategic partnership, collaboration, research, marketing, development, settlement, supply, material transfer, nondisclosure, and consulting agreements
- Conduct IP transactional due diligence
- Counsel Illumina personnel located in the US and abroad on wide ranging legal issues arising in connection with the development and commercialization of Illumina products and services
- Establish internal policies to guide the use and protection of Illumina intellectual property
- Address issues that arise in connection with Illumina technology transfer relationships.
Senior Counsel, Market Access/VA&P | Bristol Myers Squibb
At Bristol Myers Squibb, we are inspired by a single vision – transforming patients' lives through science. In oncology, hematology, immunology and cardiovascular disease – and one of the most diverse and promising pipelines in the industry – each of our passionate colleagues contribute to innovations that drive meaningful change. We bring a human touch to every treatment we pioneer. Join us and make a difference. This role will have responsibility for supporting BMS' market access team, called Value, Access & Payment (VA&P). Responsibilities will include providing legal support and counsel for many aspects of the market access/VA&P team including patient support services, payer marketing, access field-based roles and all related payer materials. Other responsibilities may include providing legal advice and counsel to the Health Economics and Research team including contracting, payer contracting, pricing and US policy issues. This person will operate as part of the Law Department focused on providing excellent, pragmatic, solutions oriented services to clients.
Key Responsibilities and Major Duties Requirements:
- Provision of proactive, practical, solution-oriented legal advice to help structure BMS' patient support services including reimbursement support services and co-pay programs, including issues related to anti-kickback, antitrust, contracts, compliance, policy and FDA regulations.
- Proactively advises and counsels on payer marketing issues including promotional pieces and field-based execution.
- Maintain knowledge of state law reporting and transparency issues, current litigation and business and legal and industry trends to identify and mitigate potential legal and compliance risks in a rapidly changing environment
- Collaborating with the US Policy & Govt affairs team to help shape external environment to improve patient access to BMS' life-saving medications
- Collaborate across CV, Immunology, Hematology & Oncology legal colleagues and Law Department matrix to ensure delivery of seamless, comprehensive legal advice.
- Leverage knowledge of emerging legal and industry issues and trends to inform advice and address potential legal risk.
- Anticipate and proactively identify legal issues applying an enterprise view, and provide clear, operational and effective legal advice the supports informed decisions.
General Counsel - Associate | Axos Bank
As our experienced transactional counsel, you will be joining the legal team at this always improving technology-driven financial services company. You will be a valued team member with the opportunity to contribute to the company’s success, working hands-on with members of various business units on an ever growing range of products and services. 10 + years' major law firm or large corporation, third party service agreements
- Provide legal counsel to the Bank and it's business units
- Supervise the work of outside counsel
- Draft, review, and edit contracts, including third party service agreements
- Minimize Bank risk
- Enforce the Bank's legal policies and ensure compliant with all applicable laws and regulations
- Support all Bank business units by providing efficient and effective legal counsel
SVP, Head of Litigation Operations | LPL Financial
This position reports directly to the EVP, Head of Litigation and Regulatory Affairs of LPL's legal department and is responsible to ensure operational functioning of LPL's litigation department. This includes the e-discovery operations of the department, matter management for litigations, regulatory matters, customer complaints and internal investigations, regulatory reporting, and the quarterly reserves process, among other things. The position will be a member of the department's leadership team. This is a highly visible role in a dynamic and fast paced environment. The role helps to build and create capacity for the team by professionally interacting with employees across the firm as well as external clients, which include law firms and financial advisors. The successful candidate will thrive in a fast-paced environment, take a proactive approach to their work, look for opportunities to build capacity including process improvement, have strong attention to detail and the ability to build strong working relationships across the team and broader organization.
Working in direct partnership with senior legal leadership, the Head of LitOps will help execute LPL's legal strategic operational roadmap and drive continuous improvement. The ideal candidate must be able to manage, train and continuously build a large team of attorneys and non-attorney professionals, and have flexibility to adapt to changing priorities, business drivers and organizational needs. Among their responsibilities, the successful candidate will manage a cross-functional e-discovery operation and legal hold system, oversee a department-wide system to efficiently intake and distribute matters for the legal department, manage and track the metrics and other information for such matters as they develop and build and manage a process for the quarterly reserves process.
- Support Freedom's rapid growth by partnering with business and finance leaders to identify and execute on financing and acquisition opportunities.
- Work with business partners to review and negotiate a broad range of contracts, including contracts with Freedom's bank partners and investors.
- Partner with Freedom's award-winning capital markets team and its investment fund on an array of sophisticated finance transactions, including asset-backed securitizations and warehouse financings.
- Work side-by-side with the General Counsel and Associate General Counsel to support corporate governance for the Freedom businesses, including quarterly board meetings.
- Continually monitor the legal and regulatory environment to identify potential risks and partner with business leaders to mitigate those risks.
- The preferred candidate would work out of our San Mateo, California, or Tempe, Arizona office, but remote opportunities will be considered.
Senior Corporate Counsel | Verimatrix Inc.
Verimatrix seeks a Senior Corporate Counsel who will provide strategic and tactical legal guidance and act as a trusted advisor to Company management with a particular focus on supporting the Product Management, Engineering, Security and Information Systems teams with SaaS and in-bound licensing and services
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.:
- Review, draft, revise, negotiate and finalize a variety of licensing and services agreements with customers, resellers, technology partners, vendors, and consultants.
- Work with global business partners and management to ensure agreements are consistent with business goals and corporate policies.
- Lead or assist with contract disputes with customers, partners, or suppliers.
- Identify, develop, and promote solutions to effectively address recurring legal issues.
- Provide strategic, as well as tactical, legal guidance, as a trusted advisor to Company management.
- This role will report to the CFO.
- Additional projects as assigned by CFO.
Attorney Support | Mercury Insurance Group
The attorney will learn extensive knowledge of pre-trial litigation including case evaluation from initial file assignment through trial and post-trial procedures. Support pre-trial litigation including case evaluation from initial file assignment through trial and post-trial procedures. Prepares necessary legal documentation, obtains and prepares pertinent defense information and advises clients and claims personnel on legal issues. Provides legal representation to insureds and the Company before courts, arbitration panels or administrative bodies relating to the defense of personal injury lawsuits. Effectively supervise and direct subordinate legal staff such as paralegals, secretaries, transcriptionists and support specialists in daily operations to ensure accurate and timely completion of assigned work.
Senior Attorney (remote) | Illumina
This is a position for an attorney with significant experience managing a broad range of commercial contracts and operational legal needs, as well as special projects and workstreams relating to complex transactions. Prior experience working in cross-functional teams either as in-house or external counsel is preferred, especially for work related to audits, investigations, or advising on internal policies and procedures. This role is a legal advisor and strategist for the business and will be instrumental in leading day to day corporate and commercial needs.
- Leading legal projects and workstreams related to complex corporate transactions and internal process management requiring in-depth consideration of multiple factors;
- Negotiating and advising on terms and conditions for product sales and partnerships;
- Advising on the various legal risks, business strategies, and other issues related to commercial deals in a very competitive and fast-paced environment;
- Reviewing and revising business documents and working closely with our business teams to accomplish company goals;
- Developing and improving processes that support contracting with our customers, vendors, and collaborators
Senior Director, Legal - IP Transactional | Illumina Inc.
Illumina is looking for a highly motivated, energetic individual with deep and broad experience in negotiating and executing complex collaboration, partnership, licensing, and development agreements and other strategic transactions, often with significant IP aspects. This attorney will serve as a member of the Illumina multi-disciplinary legal team.
- Negotiate and execute complex collaboration, partnership, licensing, and development agreements and other strategic transactions
- Develop strategies and solutions for these matters and broader business strategies in close collaboration with other Illumina stakeholders
- Be a trusted defender and advocate of the company and its interests, and a valued counselor to the business
- Work with Illumina leadership to establish company policies and procedures relevant to intellectual property topics
- Collaborate with Illumina's litigation, patent and other groups within legal to identify and resolve legal issues
- Manage and coach attorneys for performance, career growth and development
Patent Agent (remote) | Crinetics Pharmaceuticals
The Patent Agent is responsible for participating in the development and execution of global patent strategies and managing day to day patent activities to support multiple discovery and clinical development programs.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
These may include but are not limited to:
- Identifies inventions and captures high-value IP in collaboration with members of various discovery and development groups within the Company.
- Drafts high quality patent applications and prosecutes patents relating to inventions that are strategically aligned with the Company's business objectives.
- Manages and improves processes for tracking innovations and competitor IP activities.
- Assesses freedom-to-operate for R&D colleagues upon request.
- Advises colleagues regarding IP-related issues, including technology transfer and legal and policy developments.
- Works and interacts with collaborators and other external strategic partners to implement global patent strategies.
- Communicates complex patent advice to team members at every level in the organization, with a wide range of scientific backgrounds.
- Assists with strategic IP due diligence, including conducting prior art and patent searches and analyzing the patent portfolios of competitors and potential collaborators.
- Evaluates IP risks and recommends solutions with little supervision.
- Supports preparation of Orange Book and patent term extension filings.
- Reviews proposed publications and assesses potential impact on the Company's IP portfolio.
- Supports oppositions, post-grant challenges, licensing matters, and disputes.
- Supports Legal Department initiatives.
- Contributes to development of best practices within the Legal group.
- Manages the use of outside IP-related legal counsel effectively.
Associate General Counsel, Payments | Intuit
Working as a member of the Products Legal Team, you will be responsible for partnering with multiple innovative product teams around the world to ensure that Intuit's banking as a service and money movement products are structured to achieve our strategy while complying with applicable regulations in multiple jurisdictions. You will partner closely with product management, business development, engineering, design, marketing, compliance and operations teams. You will provide legal advice and counseling on a wide variety of matters, including data privacy and protection, mobile, product liability, IP and regulatory compliance. Many of these matters will be in the FinTech area, including payments, stored value and deposit products. You may structure, draft, negotiate and advise upon various complex transactions with minimal direction and supervision. The ideal candidate should have knowledge of regulations in the financial services area, including FCRA, GLBA, and state payments laws.
General Counsel | IOWN Renewable Energy, Inc.
IOWN Renewable Energy, Inc. is seeking a General Counsel to join our team. This is an opportunity to provide strategic and commercial value to IOWN and IOWN clients by managing and overseeing all legal matters for IOWN and its projects. The General Counsel will report directly to the CEO and will assume ownership of all legal matters while strengthening the overall growth environment of the company.
About the Position:
While managing multiple priorities, your primary focus will be supporting the development and M&A efforts by negotiating financing agreements, purchase and sale agreements, service agreements, non-disclosure agreements, key project-related agreements regarding engineering, procurement, construction, installation, operation, and maintenance related to the projects, and other relevant commercial agreements. You will see the result of your work by driving negotiations, building processes, and implementing changes. You will own and optimize the company budget for legal matters by reviewing the company's litigation strategy pertain to legal actions, providing guidance on transaction structuring, and supervising external counsels.
Intellectual Property Attorney, Biosciences Division | Thermo Fisher Scientific
Thermo Fisher's dynamic, fast-growing and fast-paced Biosciences Division (BID) is seeking a motivated Patent Attorney to support innovation capture and IP risk mitigation in support of its Cell Biology, Cell & Gene Therapy and Sample Preparation businesses. The role supports a diverse range of technologies and products including nucleic acid preparation and delivery systems, gene editing products, protein expression and delivery systems, pluripotent stem cell products, 3D spheroid and organoid systems, and viral vector systems.
This role requires a strong technical background and a strategic, business oriented mindset to guide a global IP portfolio and overall IP strategy. You will be joining a highly motivated, hard-working and inclusive IP team that prides itself on delivering strong, defensible patents and thoughtful, business-oriented counseling solutions, and proactive, insightful guidance on ways to gain and maintain market share through intellectual property solutions.
What will you do?
- Lead a team of internal patent agents and outside counsel in furtherance of mining innovation, and generating a strong, global patent portfolio;
- Conduct proactive in-depth analysis of competitor and industry IP portfolios;
- Regularly interact with R&D, business, and other functional organizational leadership teams to provide strategic, proactive counseling and creative solutions to gain and maintain market share;
- Participate in and lead IP department-wide initiatives in developing a more flexible, company-wide IP support model;
- Collaborate with R&D and the business to navigate freedom-to-operate issues;
- Conduct regularly-cadenced IP training sessions on the protection of innovations through the patent process, best practices for maintaining confidential business information, and the overall development of intellectual property assets;
- Resolve and/or support resolution of business unit level disputes and negotiations, and, when necessary, provide support to our internal litigation team on IP litigation relating to BID's products.
Senior Paralegal - Commercial | Dexcom
Provides legal assistance to corporate attorneys. Acts as liaison between company attorneys, outside counsel, organizations and in-house employees. Compiles data from legal digests, encyclopedias and practice manuals. Assembles, proofs and edits drafts of contracts, leases, licenses and insurance policies. Prepares and files legal documents with appropriate entities, as required. Conducts research on projects as directed by corporate attorneys. May review and ensure the company's compliance with regulations. Assists internally in analyzing documents. Counsels on progress of cases. May assist with the review and preparation of patent material and applications. Requires paralegal certification, law office experience and knowledge of office automation equipment/software related to activities.
The Senior Commercial Paralegal, Strategic Contracts will report to the Director, Legal Affairs - New Markets, Strategic Transactions & SEC, and will support all aspects of the end-to-end contract operations process for Dexcom’s Legal Strategic Transactions group. This is a high impact role supporting a rapidly growing business and expanding legal function. You will be working with experienced attorneys, corporate strategy professionals and other business stakeholders on day-to-day matters and strategic initiatives. You will validate contract requests, draft, review and negotiate agreements with attorney supervision, obtain approval of non-standard terms, manage the execution and filing of agreements, help develop and maintain templates, support ongoing contract process improvement efforts, and track and report on open matters for the group.
Sr. IP Counsel - Chemistry | Neurocrine Biosciences, Inc.
This position will take a leadership role in developing global strategies and managing day-to-day intellectual property efforts to support multiple small molecule discovery, clinical development and commercial phase Neurocrine programs.
Your Contributions (include, but are not limited to):
Identification of inventions, patent drafting, and prosecution relating to small molecule pharmaceuticals;
Conducting strategic IP analysis and due diligence on the patent portfolios of Neurocrine’s competitors and potential collaborators for patentability and freedom-to-operate;
Identifying opportunities for expanding Neurocrine's IP position in collaboration with members of various discovery, development and business groups within Neurocrine;
Working and communicating with collaborators and other external strategic partners in connection with developing a global IP strategy;
Reviewing and negotiating license agreements and IP-related clauses in other agreements;
Manage ANDA litigation and other IP-related contentious matters; and
Managing the use of outside legal counsel globally.
Sr. Corporate Counsel - Commercial (hybrid) | Neurocrine Biosciences, Inc.
Addresses a broad array of legal matters to support the Company’s Commercial, Corporate Affairs, Research, Development, Clinical, Regulatory, Manufacturing, Medical Affairs, Business Development, Alliance Management and/or general administrative departments. Works closely with other members of the Legal Department and their respective clients to address legal issues across several disciplines. Counsels’ clients and drafts and negotiates complex life sciences arrangements. Advises and trains business clients on contract requirements.
Provides clear and business-savvy legal advice and risk guidance to business partners, key stakeholders related to one or more of the following:
- Commercial activities including review of promotional materials, marketing strategies, salesforce initiatives, market access issues
- Multiple activities related to Commercial and compliance with specific legislation (Anti- Kickback Statute, False Claims Act, and the Food Drug and Cosmetic Act)
- Company’s Research, Development, Clinical, Regulatory, Manufacturing/CMC, Medical Affairs and general administrative departments through all phases of drug research, development, and clinical matters
- Public company reporting and compliance, including SEC rules and regulations and NASDAQ listing standards; advising on corporate governance and disclosure matters; routine counseling on corporate issues including close interaction with executive management.
- Variety of activities such as licensing and research collaborations, pre-clinical and clinical matters, CMC (supply, manufacture, and quality issues), and other matters, including contract/deal negotiation and post-execution implementation
- The company's employee option programs and stock purchase programs
- Drafts, negotiates, and advises clients on a broad range of legal and contractual matters to support the Company’s business, including but not limited to: clinical trial agreements, informed consent documents, research agreements, clinical supply agreements, consulting agreements, confidentiality, nondisclosure agreements, distribution agreements, payor agreements and drug pricing matters
- Interacts closely with clients and third-party vendors to understand business requirements and ensure that contractual terms are consistent with the Company’s priorities
- Acts as advisor on legal issues involving the organization’s government and regulatory compliance