The ACC National Capital Region chapter has strong relationships with pro bono providers in Northern Virginia, D.C., and Maryland to offer a wide variety of opportunities that are attractive to, and convenient for, members.
At this time, we are working with the following organizations:
- Legal Services of Northern Virginia (“LSNV”). We hold quarterly pro bono clinics where our members provide legal services to LSNV clients. The current focus of the clinics is on consumer law issues, as those issues are easier for in-house counsel to handle without extensive training. LSNV provides onsite training the day of the clinic, and LSNV attorneys are available at the clinic for consultation on specific legal issues. To learn more about LSNV, please visit their web site at http://www.lsnv.org.
- Whitman-Walker Clinic Legal Services Program. Members participate in special legal clinics organized by the Whitman-Walker Clinic, a community health center serving greater Washington’s diverse urban community, including individuals who face barriers to accessing care, and with a special expertise in LGBT and HIV care. Thus far, our members have participated in clinics providing advice to clients applying for Medicare Part D prescription drug plans and those seeking assistance with the name and gender change processes. We anticipate that Whitman-Walker will seek our participation in future clinics. For information about Whitman-Walker's pro bono program, please visit http://www.whitman-walker.org/page.aspx?pid=381
- D.C. Bar Small Business Assistance Clinics. We urge our members to participate in Small Business Brief Advice Legal Clinics provided through the D.C. Bar Pro BonoProgram. These clinics provide legal information to small business owners and prospective entrepreneurs who operate in economically disadvantaged areas or who have limited financial resources. For more information on these clinics, please visit http://www.dcbar.org/for_the_public/programs_and_services/ced_project/small_business.cfm When training sessions and volunteering opportunities arise, we will post the information here and in our e-newsletter.
- Children’s Law Center. We are partnering with the Children's Law Center (CLC) and Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher to serve some of the most vulnerable members of the Washington, D.C. community. CLC is the largest legal services organization in the District of Columbia and the only such organization with a dedicated focus on children. Our project involves providing pro bono services to at-risk children in the District who are at the center of custody disputes, and serving as their custody guardians ad litemto assist the D.C. Superior Court in resolving these disputes.
- Family Services Inc. Family Services Inc., located in Gaithersburg, MD, promotes the resilience, recovery and independence of individuals and families across the life span through integrated mental and physical health, social service, and education programs, thereby strengthening communities. We are collaborating with Venable LLP to provide clinics for the organization's clients about wills, probate, power of attorney, health care directives, and guardianships.