The Career Development Forum focuses on providing attorneys with information about managing their professional lives (and the intersection of career and personal life). The programming it organizes includes general career topics, special gatherings for women and lawyers who are new to in-house practice, as well as sessions to help both active and passive job seekers find the next great in-house job. Non-members in ACC are welcome to participate in the Forum’s programs and networking events; the hope is that those non-members who secure in-house positions will recognize the value of membership and join at a later date.
The members of the Career Development Forum are:
- Steve Tibbets (Lead), Lead Commercial Counsel Public Sector, Elastic NV
- Shaneequa Brooks, (Co-Lead) Counsel, Willis Towers Watson
- Cindy Boyle, General Counsel - Employment, Willis Towers Watson
- Anjali Chaturvedi, Assistant General Counsel Investigations, Northrop Grumman
- Samantha Guo, Associate General Counsel, China Telecom Americas
- Justina Martynaityta, Counsel, LIDL US, LLC
- Lusanna Ro, VP and Senior Assistant General Counsel, AECOM
- Rich Spitalnik, Senior Counsel, American Red Cross
- Anjanette Stinson, Associate General Counsel, National Student Clearinghouse
ACC National Capital Region
2021 Professional Growth Partners
As you plot and manage your career path, it helps to have established relationships with professionals who specialize in career counseling and attorney placement. If you manage a legal department, you may also want to know attorney search and staffing professionals who can help you with temporary staffing needs and permanent placements. The following firms are our chapter's 2021 Professional Growth Partners (and local points of contact are provided):
- Bridge Partners, LLC: Debbie Tang, Partner -- Phone: (202) 809-0876; E-mail: email@example.com
- Firm Advice: Mary Winter, President and General Counsel -- Phone: 571-426-0396; E-Mail: MWinter@FirmAdvice.com
- Garrison & Sisson, Inc.: Nancy Palermo and Martha Ann Sisson, Co-Heads, In-House Practice Group -- Phone: 202-429-5630; E-mails: firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com
- Major, Lindsey & Africa: Deborah Ben-Canaan, Partner & Senior Practice Leader, In-House Counsel Recruiting -- Phone: 202-628-0665; E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Bill Mooney, Managing Director, Interim Legal Talent -- Phone: 267-238-9861; E-mail: email@example.com
- Robert Half Legal: Jonathan Parella, Regional Vice President, Mid-Atlantic -- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
The ACC National Capital Region chapter places great emphasis on assisting its members with career development -- whether it's managing an in-transition period, finding that next great job, or improving or broadening your skill set. In addition to our incomparable continuing education offerings, our chapter also provides programming and other services to help members have the best possible in-house career and life.
The main facets of our career development services are:
- The Career Development Forum: For more information about the Forum, and contact information for its chairs, please see the list above. The Forum regularly presents substantive programs on a variety of career topics which are found on our
- Clearinghouse eGroup: Our very own "matchmaking" service. Members who are seeking temporary fill-ins for attorneys who are out on medical or family leave, sabbatical, etc., or who need a short-term ramp-up in staffing, can join the Clearinghouse eGroup and post their needs. Members who are in-transition and are subscribed to the eGroup would get that information and be able "apply" to fill them. To join the eGroup:
- Go to the ACC website at www.acc.com and LOG IN.
- Hover over My Network in the top toolbar and click on MY COMMITTEES & EGROUPS.
- Click on JOIN/MANAGE COMMITTEES. It opens a new window. Click "yes" for to join the Clearinghouse. Click SUBMIT to put the change into effect. Then click at top to close the window.
- Click on VISIT MY EGROUPS to view the eGroups to which you are subscribed. When you click on MANAGE SUBSCRIPTIONS, you will be able to change how you receive communications from the eGroups.
Job search tips: Simple - but important - steps to take to maximize the benefits of your membership in ACC and the National Capital Region chapter as you go through a job search:
Keep your contact information up to date – you want to continue to get communications from ACC and our chapter.
If you are in-transition, you can continue your membership at no cost for one year (write email@example.com).
Register and regularly check the In House Jobline at http://jobline.acc.com/search.cfm for new postings.
Don't hesitate to use the annual Membership Directory or the online directory to reach out to other members and see what or who they know, or may have heard.
Network, network, network……
Keep your resume up to date, let others critique it. Develop numerous versions. If you are sending it in response to a particular opening, make sure it aligns with what the position is seeking.
Develop a catchy “elevator speech” (one to two minutes) that explains what you have done and what you are looking for.
Structure your days. Designate times for job-hunting, and times for other activities (to keep you fresh, since job hunting can be draining).
Don’t be shy – let all your friends, family and other contacts know you are searching and what you are searching for.
Make a list of career websites that you want to check regularly.
Be seen – attend CLEs, attend other bar association functions, attend social functions – you never know who you may meet.
Pro Bono/Volunteer – people are needed to feed the hungry, clean up schools, counsel people on mortgage problems – it will lift your spirit!
Network, network, network……