2024 Practice Groups
Best Practices delivers CLE-accredited presentations addressing best practices in areas typically encountered by corporate in-house counsel. Panels consisting of in-house and outside counsel explore an area, set a foundation, and discuss challenges for meeting best practices within that area. Recent panels have addressed securities laws, transactions, due diligence, tax, and litigation and optimizing the in-house/outside counsel partnership.
- Board Contact: Chair: Sean Murphy and Co-Chairs: Tracey Rice and Nicole Moss
- Practice Group Sponsor: AZA
- Sponsor Contact: Todd Mensing, Partner, AZA
Construction is one of the largest and most important industries in the world, and the stakes involved in construction projects are high. As the owner of a construction project or contractor, it is important to be aware of the legal and practical issues that can affect the construction industry. Members of the Construction Practice Group can gain insights on these issues through a variety of learning methods, including facilitated discussions, analysis of issues, and continuing legal education (CLE) courses.
In the preliminary stages of a construction project, it is essential to understand the importance of effective contract preparation, procurement, and administration for the project whether that be in conjunction with an EPC contract, on a renewables or energy project, or the construction of a commercial building, including office buildouts.
The Construction Practice Group also covers topics related to insurance claim preparation, management, and evaluation; risk management; and insurance coverage issues. These topics can help members of the group understand how to effectively manage risks associated with construction projects, and how to respond when things do not go according to plan.
Overall, the Construction Practice Group is a valuable resource for anyone involved in the construction of an energy project, renewable project, EPC, EPCM, or commercial project. Whether you are in the planning and design phase of a construction project or dealing with disputes and litigation, the group can help you navigate the complex legal and practical issues that can arise in this industry.
- Board Contact: Dionne Hamilton and Member Co-Chair: Mary Shannon Santee
- Practice Group Sponsor: Kilpatrick Townsend
EMPLOYMENT & LABOR
This group focuses, from both the federal and state level, on traditional labor law topics, employee benefits matters, OSHA and HR issues.
- Board Contact: Chair: Christallyn Williams and Co-Chairs: Ivett Hughes and Latasha McDade
- Practice Group Sponsor: Seyfarth Shaw
- Board Contact: Chair: Jennifer Fung and Co-Chair: Nicole Moss
- Practice Group Sponsor: Seyfarth Shaw
This practice group focuses on all categories of intellectual property law and related issues of importance to in-house counsel, such as intellectual property due diligence prepared by in-house counsel for mergers and acquisitions; licensing; patent prosecution; and patent infringement litigation.
- Board Contact: Chair: Andrea Tran and Co-Chairs: Brian Kentshire and Joseph Yao
- Practice Group Sponsor: Bracewell LLP
- Sponsor contact: Brad Y. Chin, Partner, Bracewell
INTERNATIONAL LEGAL AFFAIRS
- Board Contact: Chair: Gabriella Aliberti and Co-Chairs: Andrea Tran and Nicole Moss
- Practice Group Sponsor: Womble Bond Dickinson
Litigation focuses on providing training and continuing legal education opportunities most relevant to in-house litigators and by facilitating the sharing of best practices and will touch on the following aspects of this area of practice:
- enhancing the professionalism of in-house litigators by encouraging, fostering, and assisting in the development of the in-house litigation capabilities.
- providing training and continuing education opportunities in practice areas of importance to litigators.
- exploring the changing relationships between in-house litigators and outside counsel.
- facilitating the understanding of business objectives in the in-house litigation practice and, conversely, defining the proper role of litigation in business strategy.
- facilitating networking between and among in-house litigators on matters of mutual interest.
- Board Contact: Chair: Christallyn Williams and Co-Chair: Sean Murphy
- Practice Group Sponsor: Hunton Andrews Kurth
MERGERS & ACQUISITIONS
This practice group is intended to provide ACC Houston members with opportunities to share information on the legal issues and documentation associated with various transactions commonly associated with M&A legal work for public companies such as mergers, acquisitions and dispositions of legal entities, businesses and assets, and the formation or organization of joint ventures and equity investments. Examples of documentation that may be addressed include confidentiality agreements, due diligence checklists, letters of intent or term sheets, the definitive agreements, and any ancillary agreements associated with a transaction, including stock transactions as well as asset transactions.
- Board Contact: Chair: Jennifer Fung and Member Co-Chair: Kinjal Shah
- Practice Group Sponsor: Baker Botts