SEEKING IN-HOUSE LEGAL TEAMS TO
HOST IN-HOUSE LEGAL CLERKS IN H2 2020
Would you like to host a law student clerk within your in-house legal team (but perhaps don’t have the time to train them)? Do you need energetic young talent to help out on those research tasks or innovation projects? Do you want to give back to the legal profession and mentor the next generation of lawyers? Maybe you need an in-house clerk!
After the success of our pilot program in 2019, ACC Australia and The Learned Crew have partnered together again to provide this in-house legal clerkship program, complete with an in-built training component!
Our program is a turnkey solution to having a law student clerk in your team. We do everything to make this clerkship easy and efficient for your legal team, while making sure you get flexibility and value for money.
We review the applications, shortlist candidates and train your clerk on the fundamentals of being an in-house lawyer so they are job-ready and adding value as soon as they begin their clerkship.
When is the H2 clerkship being run?
- H2 2020 (Sydney and Melbourne): from July 2020. Note: the exact dates, and whether the clerkship is full time or part time, is up to you! We suggest it could be full time in July while students are on university break, and then part time for part or all of second semester 2020 (or equivalent trimester).
What are the benefits?
- Law students are ready to hit the ground running so they can add value to your team;
- Law students can conduct legal research, and perform editing and other legal tasks;
- Law students can help with those tasks that you may not have time to do - like preparing presentations, training materials and tip sheets; converting complex documents or policies into helpful visual aids; preparing your team intranet or ‘wiki’ pages; process mapping; innovation projects; and other business or team development projects;
- This is an opportunity for your team to develop mentorship, people management and delegation skills;
- This is an opportunity for your team to give back to the legal profession and to the next generation of lawyers;
- The clerkship may create a potential pipeline of talented and engaged future in-house counsel. We note that 25% of the 2019 pilot participants hired their clerk on an ongoing part time basis following the clerkship; and
- The clerkship will help raise the profile of the in-house legal profession, and your legal team as a potential future employer.
How much will it cost?
Legal teams pay the clerk directly under the relevant award rate PLUS pay a program and training fee (ACC Members: $1,500 ex GST, non-ACC members: $2,800 ex GST). This gets you:
- Running of the program and support throughout clerkship as required
- Reviewing applications and shortlisting candidates
- 2 days face to face in-house legal training for student clerks
- Online access to training modules for student clerks
- Ongoing coaching for student clerks as required
- Legal team information pack including schedule and ideas for clerk tasks and activities.
How do I get involved?
- Read our downloadable information pack here, or contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more info!
- Post your clerkship position details and dates on the ACC Career Centre by 1 March 2020. It is very easy we promise! (Please click here to view a 'how to create a job ad' guide here).
- Applications will be open around March - April to talented law students from participating universities through the ACC Career Centre, and we do the first review of applications and send you some shortlisted candidates around April - May 2020.
- You interview shortlisted candidates and choose your final clerk/s in June 2020 (unless stated otherwise).
- July 2020: Your clerk receives in-house training from us (there will be training sessions in each of Sydney and Melbourne, with dates to be confirmed), and then your clerk hits the ground running on your chosen start date in 2020!