ATTENTION PENULTIMATE AND FINAL YEAR LAW STUDENTS AT
APPLY FOR AN IN-HOUSE LEGAL CLERKSHIP IN H2 2020
(APPLICATIONS ARE NOW OPEN)
Would you like to experience what it is like to be an in-house lawyer? Would you like to learn from some of the country’s brightest legal minds and learn how an organisation is run? Do you want to work on exciting legal, business and innovation projects within an in-house legal environment? You need to apply for an in-house clerkship! After the success of our pilot program in 2019, ACC Australia and The Learned Crew have partnered together again to provide this in-house legal clerkship program, with an in-built training component, in the second half of 2020 (starting approximately July 2020)!
In-house lawyers are one of the fastest growing segments of the legal profession. In-house counsel are growing in popularity and demand, as organisations see the value of bringing commercially minded, strategic and creative legal professionals inside the organisation. In-house lawyers must be more than just lawyers, being both innovative business people and sharp legal counsel. These clerkship positions are to be coveted and respected, as you get an incredible opportunity to be inside the house, and to gain skills not only as a lawyer, but as a strategic adviser.
H2 2020: from July 2020. Note: exact dates, and whether the clerkship is full time or part time, is up to the individual legal team. You will need to check the ACC Career Centre to see the details.
What legal teams are participating?
Check the ACC Career Centre for a current list of all legal teams participating (legal teams will be confirmed in around March 2020). During the pilot and the H1 program, we had big name companies in the fashion, telecommunications, finance, tech and energy sectors. Get excited!
What are the benefits?
You can gain much-needed legal experience, in a never-before accessed area of law that is also one of the fastest growing segments of the legal profession.
Whether you become a career in-house counsel, you go to a law firm or pursue another career altogether, this type of experience kickstarts your knowledge of being client side and all that comes with it. This includes what it means to be commercial, how to communicate with business people, how an organisation really works, and how lawyers fit within that realm. Accumulating that insight and business acumen not only leads to better legal outcomes but also fosters more empathy and therefore better relationships between lawyers and business clients;
In such a role, you are likely to have client contact from day one and also develop the confidence to pick up almost any legal issue that might come across your desk. It is a steep but rewarding learning curve to become a generalist in-house lawyer; and
You will be welcomed into the in-house legal community, which provides a collegiate and supportive network for you going forward.
Will I be paid?
Unless otherwise stated (and you are studying a subject where you can obtain course credit for a clerkship), the legal teams will pay you for your time, at the relevant award rate.
How do I get involved?
- If you are a law student from a participating university, log on to the ACC Career Centre from March 2020 (keep an eye out through your university communications for exact dates and details), view the available clerkships (and dates), and complete your application/s with the teams you want to apply for by the relevant deadline. Please click here to view a 'how to apply' guide. Make sure you choose your university, complete every question and upload all relevant documents, and make sure you are available for the training days and the clerkship dates advertised.
- If you are shortlisted for interview, you will be contacted directly by Jessie Porteus from The Learned Crew, or directly by the legal team (so make sure you answer your phone and emails), and interviews will be held in around May (unless stated otherwise).
- Final clerks are announced in June 2020 (unless stated otherwise).
- July 2020 (exact date to be confirmed): You attend our 2 day practical in-house legal training, and then start with your legal team on their chosen start date!
- Enjoy your clerkship and learn a lot!
This clerkship is for work experience only. Unfortunately there are no promises of employment or graduate positions