The 2019 suite of law department management benchmarking reports feature data from a total of 508 law departments across 70 industries and 30 countries. Each report listed in the expandable rows below focuses on a specific population such as industry affiliation, revenue bracket, and legal department staff size, with the purpose of allowing for more direct and relevant peer comparison. These reports include over 100 critical metrics and cover the areas mentioned below. A complete list of metrics can be found in the free summary report available for download above.
- Includes degree of centralization geographically and by reporting structure and location of company regional operations.
Staffing [24 metrics]
- Includes number of legal staff across six positions, lawyer-to-staff ratios, and lawyers per $1 billion in revenue.
Spending [37 metrics]
- Includes budget-to-spend ratios, inside/outside spend distribution, and cost per lawyer-hour.
Staff Workload and Work Allocation [29 metrics]
- Includes number of contracts and litigation matters handled annually, sourcing work (law firms, ALSPs, insource, etc.), and in-house work distribution by staff position.
Use of Law Firm and Fee Structures [30+ metrics]
- Includes number of law firms employed across 30 practice areas, number of "significant" law firms employed, and percentage of outside counsel spend by fee type.
- Adoption rates across 12 key legal technology solution areas, most commonly used vendors and systems, and average vendor satisfaction ratings.
- A gap analysis is provided across 10 different department performance attributes indicating where departments are performing well and where departments have room for improvement.