ACC, in partnership with Wolters Kluwer Legal & Regulatory, surveyed legal departments on their level of maturity across 15 legal operations functions and 92 related subfunctions. We present the key findings and data highlights here.
- Legal Operations Professionals make a difference. Departments that employ at least one legal ops professional are more advanced across all 15 functional areas compared to those with no dedicated legal ops professional.
- Not all functions are equal. There is significant variation in maturity levels across functions. Compliance and Financial Management are most advanced on average, while eDiscovery & Litigation Management and Innovation Management are least advanced.
- Company size matters: Legal departments in large organisations report higher maturity levels on average. This is consistent when examining company revenue, number of staff and legal spend.
- Departments face diverse challenges in their maturation process. Budget limitations, leadership scepticism on the added value provided by legal operations, and general resistance to change hinder the efforts of legal operations professionals to advance maturity.
- Best in class are in an advanced stage, but they still have room to grow. The top 10 percent departments showcase an advanced stage of legal operations maturity, but none recorded being advanced across all 15 core functions.
Download your copy of the full report now