Overview (Program Summary)
ACC Mid-America Chapter and Littler Mendelson, P.C.
Presented by: Bonnie Birdsell and Christopher M. Helt
Wednesday, October 11, 2023
12:00 – 1:00PM
Grand Street Café, 4740 Grand Avenue, Kansas City, MO 64112
In our increasingly “speak up" corporate environment, prompt and effective internal investigations enable businesses to take appropriate action to address issues raised in employee reports. Well-conducted internal investigations are also critical to reducing employment law risk and preventing legal liability, and they can boost employee morale and solidify corporate culture. Poorly conducted investigations, on the other hand, can create liability and dampen morale. Properly planning the investigation, conducting interviews that get to the facts, and carefully documenting outcomes are critical components of an effective corporate compliance function and are of vital importance in defending corporate decisions challenged in court.
Discussion Topics & Objectives:
This presentation will provide a step-by-step overview of a properly conducted and effective internal investigation:
- Identifying not only the right investigator, but also the role of the investigator, throughout the investigatory process (10 minutes)
- Objectively characterizing allegations and planning the investigation, including determining its scope (10 minutes)
- Understanding the investigator's role in gathering facts and evaluating evidence (5 minutes)
- Conducting interviews that encourage participation, get to the facts, and demonstrate the company's dedication to the process (10 minutes)
- Balancing the need to get the facts, give the accused a fair opportunity to respond, and ensure confidentiality and considering attorney-client privilege issues (10 minutes)
- Drafting investigation reports and recommendations (5 minutes)
- Responding to and evaluating common challenges/curveballs that may arise in investigations, including in the virtual context (10 minutes)
We encourage members to bring an associate or colleague that may be interested in joining the ACC Mid-America Chapter. The Association of Corporate Counsel offers numerous benefits and resources to in-house counsel including CLE offerings and networking opportunities and we look forward to sharing that information with others in the field.
Please click here to register by October 9, 2023
*Kansas, Missouri, and Nebraska Continuing Legal Education Credits are pending.