Connecticut, Our client is a dynamic biopharmaceutical company that is seeking an experienced patent attorney to join as their VP, Intellectual Property. In this role, the individual will work closely with colleagues in pre-clinical and clinical development, manufacturing development, strategy and business development, alliance management and legal. This position represents a highly strategic role and will report to the General Counsel.
· Manage all aspects of intellectual property portfolio and strategy
· Identify opportunities for expanding company's intellectual property position working with various members of the R&D, business development, legal and other teams to support portfolio development and other business concerns
· Lead the drafting, filing, and prosecuting of patent applications (US and foreign patent offices) in collaboration with external counsel
· Perform patentability, infringement, and freedom-to-operate reviews in order to provide guidance on key business and R&D matters
· Provide strategic IP due diligence and transactional support for a wide variety of transactions and agreements, including acquisitions, licensing transactions, joint venture and joint research and development collaborations, sponsored research agreements,
· Review proposed publications and other public presentations prior to release
· Support competitive intelligence efforts by monitoring external developments around key programs/technologies and conducting IP and exclusivity analyses of competitor portfolios
· Manage outside patent counsel in the development, review, and implementation of IP and exclusivity strategies and related legal activities
Candidates must have the following requirements in order to be considered:
· JD and an MS or PhD in chemistry, biochemistry, molecular biology, or a related field
· At least 7 years of directly relevant experience, including top-tier patent law firm and in-house IP experience
· The ideal candidate will have a broad range of patent-related legal experience, including patent preparation and prosecution, IP due diligence, transactional IP support, experience with collaboration partner IP relationships and strategic planning
· Experience with Hatch Waxman law and regulatory exclusivities is a plus A strong compensation package, including equity, will be offered.