Dear ACC SoCal Members & Colleagues,
I hope you’ve had a wonderful summer. This is the time of year where our 38 Sponsors together with the Board of Directors and Committee volunteers go way above the call of duty to pack in the events and programs for you. For the third quarter, we will have completed a total of 24 events, including 13 hACCess CLEs, 2 Doubleheaders (Hollywood Bowl and Angels game), Street Law (U.C. Irvine), 2 Networking Cocktails (Magic Castle and Huntley Hotel), 2 ACC SoCal Works, 2 Pro Bono events, the 20th Annual Golf Classic, and the Annual Sports and Entertainment Conference. That’s an average of 2 events per week, which is amazing. The bulk of these events were free of charge. I ask you, where else can you find such value in membership? There is simply no better organization dedicated to the in-house counsel profession than ACC Southern California.
We still have a few upcoming events that you will not want to miss:
- Family Fun Day at Disneyland on October 6.
- The ACC Annual Meeting in Austin Texas, October 21-24. Attend the world’s largest gathering of in-house counsel to stay ahead, connected, and indispensable.
- Inside Diversity XI on November 14th at the Museum of Contemporary Art in Los Angeles. This includes a CLE and a private tour of the museum.
As I near the end of my term as your President, I feel grateful and inspired by my experience in leading this remarkable group of Directors. On October 1, we will have a change-in-command. I will be relieved by the incoming President, Kobie Conner, Senior Vice President, Business Affairs at 20th Century Fox. Kobie has tirelessly served our Chapter for over six years in a variety of challenging capacities, including Vice President of Programs, Vice President of Services, Annual Gala Dinner Chair, and Diversity Chair. Under Kobie’s leadership at the helm, the Chapter will be in excellent hands. Supporting Kobie on the Executive Committee will be:
- Vice President of Programs and President-Elect - Monica Johnson, Assistant General Counsel at Ventura Foods, LLC;
- Vice President of Services - Kenneth Block, General Counsel at New American Funding;
- Treasurer - Adriana Dulic, Vice President of Regulatory Affairs, Epoch Payment Solutions; and
- Secretary - Del Sabzerou, Assistant General Counsel, Operations, DaVita Medical Group.
I look forward to working with this incredible team of leaders and the Board. They will no doubt bring exciting new concepts to the forefront and keep ACC Southern California a leading chapter globally.
I want to congratulate and welcome our 2018-19 class of new Directors: James Dierking, Assistant General Counsel, Fluor Corporation; Jennifer Ishiguro, General Counsel, Auto Gravity; Lynette Jones, Senior Legal Counsel, AT&T Entertainment Group; Robert Kang, Senior Attorney, Southern California Edison; Peter MacDonald, General Counsel, LoanDepot.com; and Albert Nicholson, Senior Corporate Counsel, Lineage Logistics, LLC.
Finally, I would like to acknowledge and thank the current Executive Committee and Board for their time and dedication this past fiscal year. We’ve set records and grown as a Chapter both personally and professionally. I could not have hoped for a more dedicated team of colleagues to share this experience. And, I would, of course, like to thank each of you, for your support this past year.
Fair Winds and Following Seas,
John K. Lee
President, ACC Southern California, 2017-18
Senior Counsel, Douglas Emmett Management LLC