ACC National Capital Region operates local committees (we call them Forums, Interest Groups and Initiatives) that focus on specific practice areas or industries and present programs on issues of significant and immediate concern to their constituencies.
Career Development Forum
The Career Development Forum focuses on providing attorneys with information about managing their professional lives (and the intersection of career and personal life). The programming it organizes includes general career topics, special gatherings for women and lawyers who are new to in-house practice, as well as sessions to help both active and passive job seekers find the next great in-house job. Non-members in ACC are welcome to participate in the Forum’s programs and networking events; the hope is that those non-members who secure in-house positions will recognize the value of membership and join at a later date.
The members of the Career Development Forum are:
- Susan Borke (Co-lead), Attorney at Borke Works
- Steve Tibbets (Co-lead), Associate General Counsel, CA Technologies, a Broadcom Company
- Cindy Boyle, Managing Counsel - Employment, Willis Towers Watson
- Shaneequa Brooks, Counsel, Willis Towers Watson
- Samantha Guo, Associate General Counsel, China Telecom Americas
- Tina Rao, Assistant General Counsel – Benefits, Willis Towers Watson, North America
- Lusanna Ro, VP and Assistant General Counsel, AECOM
- Anjanette Stinson, Associate General Counsel, National Student Clearinghouse
ACC National Capital Region
2020 Professional Growth Partners
As you plot and manage your career path, it helps to have established relationships with professionals who specialize in career counseling and attorney placement. If you manage a legal department, you may also want to know attorney search and staffing professionals who can help you with temporary staffing needs and permanent placements. The following firms are our chapter's 2020 Professional Growth Partners (and local points of contact are provided):
- Bridge Partners, LLC: Debbie Tang, Partner -- Phone: (202) 809-0876; E-mail: [email protected]
- Firm Advice: Mary Winter, President and General Counsel -- Phone: 571-426-0396; E-Mail: [email protected]
- Garrison & Sisson, Inc.: Nancy Palermo and Martha Ann Sisson, Co-Heads, In-House Practice Group -- Phone: 202-429-5630; E-mails: [email protected]; [email protected]
- Major, Lindsey & Africa: Deborah Ben-Canaan, Partner -- Phone: 202-628-0665; E-mail [email protected]. Bill Mooney, Managing Director, MLA Solutions Practice Group -- Phone: 202-292-1842; E-mail: [email protected]
- Robert Half Legal: Jonathan Parella, Regional Manager -- E-mail: [email protected]
Corporate Law Forum
The Corporate Law Forum offers programs evolving around cutting edge legal and regulatory developments affecting both public and private companies. Topics include: issues facing audit committees and other board committees with oversight responsibilities; securities and disclosure developments; and general corporate practice and compliance strategies. It is the intent of the Corporate Law Forum to better enable in-house counsel to successfully address issues facing their respective companies and broaden their knowledge base to provide accurate, ethical and prudent legal counsel.
The members of the Corporate Law Forum are:
- Brent Cotton (Lead), Senior Counsel, CGI Federal
- Jaye Campbell, Associate General Counsel, CoStar Group
- Henrique Canarim, Director and Assistant General Counsel, Capital One Financial Corp.
- Danielle Carter, Director of Compliance, Ethics and SER, Hewlett Packard Enterprises
- Eun Ah Choi, Associate General Counsel, M&A, Willis Towers Watson
- Joanne Kelly, Vice President and Chief Counsel, Oath, Inc.
- Sarah Maguire, Senior Counsel, BAE Systems
- Joe Turitz, Vice President, Associate General Counsel & Assistant Secretary, EchoStar Corporation
The Diversity Forum highlights the importance of promoting diversity in the legal profession -- in particular, in in-house departments and the firms and companies that provide services to those departments. We present programming that addresses diversity topics, both in terms of career development and best practices for promoting diversity.
The members of the Diversity Forum are:
- Michael Jimenez, Associate Corporate Counsel, WorldAware
- Kathi Westcott, Senior Director, Legal Affairs and Senior Counsel, The Pew Charitable Trusts
- Mark Yeboah, Senior Associate General Counsel, Nasdaq Inc.
- Aisha Massengill, Managing Counsel, Employment, Under Armour Inc.
Employment and Labor Forum
The Employment and Labor Forum provides programming that addresses the hot topics and particularly thorny issues that arise in dealing with employees and the rules, regulations and practices that come into play in the workplace. The Forum has been particularly successful bringing in speakers from the regulatory agencies that oversee employment and labor matters, including EEOC, OFCCP, the Department of Labor, and the NLRB.
The members of the Employment and Labor Forum are:
- Andrew Sakallaris (Lead), Corporate Counsel, Logistics Management Institute
- Rebecca Clar, Senior Director and Senior Counsel, Employment and Benefits, Hilton
- Alex Gordon, Associate General Counsel, Washington Gas Light Company
- Joel Gulick, Vice President and Associate General Counsel, Ares Management LLC
- Kirsten Keating, Employee Relations, Freddie Mac
- Lesley Marlin, Senior Counsel, Labor and Employment, Northrop Grumman
- Amit Patel, Associate General Counsel, The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory
- Ellen Rice, Associate General Counsel, Global Employment Law and Compliance, Pivotal Software
- Susan Tahernia, In Transition
Global Issues Forum
The Global Issues Forum is designed to explore the legal issues faced by companies that operate in the global economy, either through international operations or by having customers or clients outside the United States. These issues may include intellectual property, compliance, employment, etc.
The members of the Global Issues Forum are:
- Bruce Henoch (Lead), General Counsel, Hiber
- Charlotte Bernard, Hilton
- Todd Braunstein, Head of Legal Investigations, Willis Towers Watson
- Eric Sidle, Senior Counsel, Cvent
- Rebecca Rohr, Vice President & Associate General Counsel, Hewlett Packard Enterprises
Government Contractors Forum
The Government Contractors Forum serves attorneys that practice in the area of government contracting by presenting programs that provide helpful information on the ins and outs of government contracting, from general principles to subtle nuances that are unique to that area of law. Many of the Forum's programs feature prominent government officials from agencies such as DoD and GSA.
The members of the Government Contractors Forum are:
- Matthew Dost (Lead), General Counsel and Director of Contracts, Allied Associates International Inc.
- Mitchell Bashur, Public Sector Counsel, Verizon Media
- Kevin Joyce, Senior Manager, Corporate Counsel, ServiceNow Inc.
- Hollie Kapos, Corporate Counsel, immixGroup Inc.
- Joelle Laszlo, Counsel, Accenture LLP
- Won Lee, Associate General Counsel, General Dynamics Mission Systems
- Ogechi Muotoh, Senior Associate General Counsel, VMware, Inc.
- Annejanette Pickens, Associate General Counsel, General Dynamics Mission Systems
- Jim Winner, Chief Legal Officer, General Counsel & Secretary, Peraton
Greater Virginia Forum
ACC NCR's service area includes all of the Commonwealth of Virginia. We organize programs and other activities for members outside of the D.C. metro area through our Greater Virginia Forum.
The members of the Greater Virginia Forum are:
Frost Telegadas (Lead), Director of Northern Virginia, ACC NCR
Collin Hite, Associate General Counsel, Markel Corp.
Sean Beard, Altria Group Inc.,
Stephanie Gillard, Vice President, Legal Affairs, General Counsel - Virginia Colonial Downs Group LLP
Sakina Paige, Sr. Manager, Sr. Counsel, Capital One
Christian Ortego, Senior Counsel, Huntington Ingalls Industries, Inc.
John Oakey, General Counsel, Essex Bank
Kindra Kirkeby, Assistant Counsel, NewMarket Services Corporation
Lusanna Ro, Vice President, AECOM
Nonprofits and Associations Forum
The Non-Profits and Associations Forum presents programs for counsel who work in all of the various kinds of non-profit entities. Topics include: corporate governance, antitrust, employment law, contracting issues (i.e., hotel contracts, convention contracts), etc.
The members of the Non-Profits and Associations Forum are:
- Jesse Raben (Lead), General Counsel, The Common Application
- Thomas Cluderay, Associate General Counsel, The Aspen Institute
- Laura Farley, General Counsel, Virginia Association of Realtors
- Denise Gold, Associate General Counsel, Associated General Contractors of America
- Katherine Karl, General Counsel and Chief Legal Officer, The Humane Society of the United States
- Rhonda Lees, Senior Counsel, American Bankers Association
- Erum Mirza, Assistant General Counsel, Certified Financial Planner Board
- Steve Swartz, Senior Associate General Counsel, The Humane Society
Privacy and Data Security Forum
Recognizing that many aspects of an organization's privacy and data security practices are often managed by in-house legal, the Privacy and Data Security Forum provides continuing education for members who are responsible for these matters. The group holds roundtable discussions on current issues and organizes high-level CLE programs.
The members of the Privacy and Data Security Forum are:
- Jessica Geller (Lead), Counsel, Blackboard Inc.
- Cecilia Boudreau, Corporate Counsel, Association of American Medical Colleges
- Maureen Boyle, Attorney, Internet 2
- Mary Chapin, Vice President, Chief Legal Officer and Corporate Secretary, National Student Clearinghouse
- Audrey Jean, Associate General Counsel, AARP
- Laura Jones, Corporate Counsel, Avaya
- Michael Kallens, Associate General Counsel, Nasdaz
- Ilona Levine, Senior Counsel, OVH US L
- Jennifer Mailander, Deputy General Counsel, Fannie Mae
- Henry Thaggert, Senior Counsel, Antitrust, Northrop Grumman
- Gang Xu, Legal Director, Verisign
Small Law Department Forum
The chapter's Small Law Department Forum addresses the issues of resource allocation and operational management faced by members who (a) practice in, or are concerned with issues relating to, small corporate law departments or (b) practice in larger departments either as a legal "generalist" or at a remote location with few lawyers. While there is no specific limit, "small department" generally is defined to refer to those with 1-5 attorneys. This group is not restricted to CLOs.
The members of the Small Law Department Forum are:
- Troy Cahill, (Co-Lead), General Counsel, Lasership Inc.
- Patrick Samsel, Corporate Counsel, Contracts Manager, Fors Marsh Group LLC
- Chris Barker, Vice President, Contract Administration, CRAssociates Inc.
- Amanda Dupree, Associate General Counsel, EPLUS
- Chi Lam, General Counsel, Guardiar
- Lauren Mooney, Associate General Counsel, Ratner Co.
Technology and IP Forum
The Technology and IP Forum hosts formal presentations on current technology and intellectual property issues, as well as informal roundtable discussions among members. The Forum's programming touches on all the different technology sectors -- including computer hardware and software issues, telecom, biotechnology, nanotechnology, etc.
The members of the Technology and IP Forum are:
- David Beck (Lead), Director of Intellectual Property, Viavi Solutions Inc.
- Beverly Chang, Counsel, BSA / The Software Alliance
- Robert "Bob" Gurwin, Chief Counsel, Oath Inc.
- Joseph McNamara, Intellectual Property Counsel, Nasdaq Inc.
- Kevin Minsky, Associate General Counsel, Booz Allen Hamilton Inc.
- Bob Paskow, Vice President, Legal, Symantec Corporation
- Vineetha Pillai, Commercial Counsel, Bloomberg Industry Group
- Zoe Sharp, Deputy General Counsel, Optoro Inc.
- Anjanette Stinson, Associate General Counsel, National Student Clearinghouse
- Edwin Szeto, Associate General Counsel, Commercial & IP, Cvent
These groups are designed to provide a higher level of programming to specialists in these practice areas and industries, as well as to provide members with enhanced opportunities to develop a professional network with their colleagues. Each of these groups is described on its own subpage, and contact information is provided for the chairs of the Forum.
FORUM eGROUPS: ACC National Capital Region has eGroups for the practice-area Forums. To subscribe to one of these eGroups, go to the ACC Member-to-Member section of the web site, and customize your eGroup participation at https://community.acc.com/communities/my-committees--chapters.