8:30 to 9:00 Registration and Breakfast Buffet
9:00 to 10:00 Anatomy of the Deals: Latest Deal Trends
Investment bankers, private equity and counsel discuss latest deal trends and structures in current deals.
• Robert T. Brown, CEO North America, Managing Director, Lincoln International
• Joseph H. Greenberg, Vice President, Global M&A-Legal, Walgreens Boots Alliance, Inc.
• Christian B. McGrath, General Counsel and Managing Director, GTCR
• Moderator/Panelist: David Rubenstein, Partner, Drinker Biddle & Reath LLP
10:00 to 10:05 Break
10:05 to 11:05 Planning to Separate Before Integration: A Behind-the-Scenes Look at a Pending Acquisition and Spin-off
On April 10, 2018, Lake Forest-based automotive supplier, Tenneco Inc., announced that it had signed a deal to acquire Carl Icahn’s auto supply company, Federal-Mogul LLC, for $5.4B. Once combined, Tenneco will be an approximately $17B company. But not for long. Because this is not just any ordinary acquisition. Promptly following closing, Tenneco intends to restructure and re-align Tenneco’s and Federal-Mogul’s respective business units and then spin-off a separate publicly-traded company, thereby creating two new innovative and independent public companies: one that is agnostic to the future of the internal combustion engine, and another that will continue to supply components that are integral to the function of the traditional engine. The deal has not yet closed and yet intensive planning is underway to restructure and implement the spin as soon as possible post-closing. This is the story of the early stages of that transaction.
• Noemi Flores, Senior Counsel and Assistant Corporate Secretary, Tenneco Inc.
• Kevin Freeman, Associate General Counsel, Securities & Transactions, Tenneco Inc.
11:05 to 11:15 Break
11:15 to 12:15 Ethical Considerations in Negotiations (Ethics CLE Credit Pending)
Panelists will discuss the ethical rules that apply to negotiations and to their interactions with opposing counsel, counter-parties and their principals.
• Joe Seiler, Partner and General Counsel, Drinker Biddle & Reath LLP
• Jeff Leslie, Director of Clinical and Experiential Learning, Clinical Professor of Law, Paul J. Tierney Director of the Housing Initiative, Co-director of the Kreisman Initiative on Housing Law and Policy, Faculty Director of Curriculum, The University of Chicago Law School
• Moderator/Panelist: Jesse Ruiz, Partner, Drinker Biddle & Reath LLP